$30,000 in ball pythons burn up in Hempfield blaze; homeowner injured - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
wcreptiles
$30,000 in ball pythons burn up in Hempfield blaze; homeowner injured

Check your heat tape and electrical plugs and make sure they are in good condition, no frayed, loose or exposed wires, secure heat lamps so they can not fall over. Make sure your circuits are not over loaded and your home owners insurance is paid up.

This is terrible disaster and it sounds like his 79 year old father was lucky to get out of the fire.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06282/728523-59.stm

Snakes were being bred to pay off student loans
Monday, October 09, 2006

By Gary Rotstein, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A blaze in Hempfield early yesterday injured the elderly homeowner and cost his son the large collection of ball python snakes he had been breeding to pay off student loans.

Brandon Repovz was keeping more than 100 snakes in the Wooster Street home, where he lives with his father, Robert, and Brandon's girlfriend. Stored on racks of plastic containers in the basement, where the fire evidently started, none of the 3-foot, nonvenomous reptiles survived.

"What I lost there was about $30,000 in snakes. I had about $25,000 in student loans left to pay off, and now there's no easy way to do that," said Mr. Repovz, an Indiana University of Pennsylvania graduate whose full-time job is with a data-tracking firm. He spoke by phone yesterday from the airport in Detroit, which he said he was passing through on his way back from a business conference in Las Vegas.

He said that after the fire began, his father, Robert Repovz, 79, was helped from the home by a neighbor. His father was transported by ambulance to Mercy Hospital, where he was being treated for smoke inhalation, second-degree burns on his hands and first-degree burns to his face.

Adamsburg Volunteer Fire Chief Donald Thoma said neighbors apprised firefighters arriving on the scene after 1:30 a.m. that the homeowners kept "exotic animals" in the basement.

"A few minutes later, they came over to tell us they were mostly, if not all, snakes," Chief Thoma said, with neighbors further reporting that the collection in the home might include hundreds of reptiles, and some might be poisonous.

The basement was so dark that the snakes were hard to see, but it was apparent to firefighters that most or all had died, the chief said. The fire appeared to be electrical in nature and might have been related to special heating tape and pads used for the snakes, he said. The home was severely damaged.

Brandon Repovz said he kept no venomous snakes, and the size of the ball pythons kept the constrictors from being a threat to humans. He has spent the past several years buying them as babies and raising them, to sell via the Internet. At one time, he had 200 of them, but had been gradually reducing the number as he found buyers.

"I'm just crushed," he said, noting neither the house nor the snakes were insured. "I was probably going to be rid of them in about six months. The sole purpose was to pay off loans and be done with them. ... Now I'm coming back from Vegas with no home and a bagful of clothes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Gary Rotstein can be reached at grotstein@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1255. )

Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
The BoidSmith
Sorry to hear that. Brandon is a member of this site.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Cat_72
That is truly sad, especially for Brandon's father. Thoughts of something like this happening have crossed my own mind, and it's a scary thing.

One thing did bother me, however......

Quote:
"I was probably going to be rid of them in about six months. The sole purpose was to pay off loans and be done with them. ... Now I'm coming back from Vegas with no home and a bagful of clothes."
If he really was only keeping the reptiles to pay off his loans, he has lost so much more than he would have without having them in the first place. And now no home, and his father will probably have huge medical bills besides. Truly sad.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Wilomn
You know what? This would be a HELL of a place for a humaitarian like Joe from MKR to step up and MAYBE send a few snakes this guys way on a breeding loan or something.

I mean, afterall, Joe is making millions and wants to bring the balls to the people BUT his ........ personality is such to make many RUN RUN RUN away........ and yet, were he truly the wonderful person he thinks he is, says he is, insists we all think he is, I think he would want to help out some way.

Don't you guys?

Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Cat_72
I've said it before, and I'll say it again........

Wes, you are a super smart guy.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
varnyard
Wes, point taken!!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
You know what? This would be a HELL of a place for a humaitarian like Joe from MKR to step up and MAYBE send a few snakes this guys way on a breeding loan or something.
Wes i love that idea! but i could say that about anyone with alot of animals and the funds to handle a few missing snakes.. hehe

What sucks about this whole article other than this horrible loss, is that homeowners insurance dosnt cover animals. So sure, you can get the cash to buy any expensive things like computers,equipment, and other such things, but you have to prove these things as well, and from what i hear, its a lengthy process.( ive got renters insurance so i dunno if they cover the same stuff) make sure to ALWAYS ALWAYS have copies of photos and movies in a seperate house possibly several, just to make sure that you never lose them if something like this happens. and you can remember Every little thing you had to get the most out of your insurance!

Do you think it would be a nice idea to set up a donation thing through paypal, and give him the money? would somone be willing to deal with this? Id be more than happy to do it, but im not sure how i would go about it. wouldnt want to mess anything legal up and whatnot. All profits would go straight to him and his father of course!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
Wilomn
If the guy is into FWCs, or even if he just thinks he might want to be, I'd be happy to either send him a pair OR I'd be happy to put a pair up and send the funds to the guy.

I have NO desire to head up any sort of fund or anything else, but I will put up a pair of hets, value appx 400.00, as either a starter pair or sell them and send him the money so he can get balls.

Before I go getting all nice and neighborly though, we are SURE, are we not, that the loss suffered was as has been described? This guy wasn't up to his ears in trouble and looking to scam an insurance Co. was he? Remember that guy in Fla. did that and it's made me leery of niceness.

Oh well, I'll look into it a bit more.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
Cat_72
Quote:
"I'm just crushed," he said, noting neither the house nor the snakes were insured.
The house wasn't even insured.

If he was looking to get "out from under" the snakes within 6 months anyway, I'm thinking that donating animals to him probably wouldn't be the kind of help he's looking for however.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
Wilomn
Somehow I missed the article in the first post completely. I guess those early morning Taxi shifts are more telling than I thought.

Darn kids and their schooling anyway.

Mutter mutter mutter make myself look like a dumbass mutter mutter mutter

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!