Average Ball Weight Gain?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
ewhitefo
Average Ball Weight Gain??

As some may know my ball was on a really long fast, nearly a year.. Anyhow she is eating regularly and I was curious what a normal ball weight gain would be.. She is 2 and eats 2 adult mice every 5 days.. Her last shed was great. She has gained about 35 grams in a month, thats weighing her empty both times..after she eliminated.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
markface
there really is no average weight gain . if she is eating regularly and gaining weight then its all good . i've seen one of my bp's gain 200 grams in a couple months and another eating the same size feeders on the same schedule only gain 50 or 60 in the same time .

Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhitefo
As some may know my ball was on a really long fast, nearly a year.. Anyhow she is eating regularly and I was curious what a normal ball weight gain would be.. She is 2 and eats 2 adult mice every 5 days.. Her last shed was great. She has gained about 35 grams in a month, thats weighing her empty both times..after she eliminated.
What the ball's current weight/size?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
ewhitefo
Approx. 30ish inches 430 grams. Started out at a shade under 400..Looks good as far as color and activity... Much better than in the middle of her fasting period.. her last movment was large dark brown and healthy looking.. I am quite satisfied with her the last month or so.. Just curious what to expect as far as weight gain goes, how fast, but I guess as long as its going up I feel pretty good about it..Just fed her two mice on Thurs and they were both gone within 20 minutes.. She could handle larger items but since she ignores frozen thawed I am stuck feeding her mice from the pet store.. If I have to go up to three a feeding I will.. She is roaving about looking for more after her second one..thoughts?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
The BoidSmith
According to measurements taken and published by the Barker's, starting at 430 g he could gain almost 200 g in 55 days (getting to the 600 g range). This would be assuming that he is feeding regularly.

Regards.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
garweft
I picked up two normal females in the middle of June that weighed 194 and 202 grams. Yesterday they were 672 and 1066 grams each. They both eat one appropriate sized food item once a week and are kept in the same rack side by side. The first one is a little more touchy of an eater, but usually eats 3 out of every 4 tries. The second one is a lot better eater and has put on twice as much weight.

If you had enough data you could come up with a really good average, but the standard error would be pretty high as each animal has different eating habits, activity, metabolism, and such. Just make sure that it's eating regular, kept under proper conditions, and gaining weight.

I have one question though. Did you say the snake is 2 years old?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
ewhitefo
Yes 2, it was purchased and went on a Loooooong fast when I got it.. Just started eating again about 4 weeks ago.. Read all about it..

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=92235

Old 01-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #8
garweft
Hopefully she keeps eating. Problem feeders tend to grow really slowly. But she is still young enough that she should still grow to a good size.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!