Need Detailed (Reptile) Venom Book - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Venom_Vigilante
Need Detailed (Reptile) Venom Book

I’m interested in finding a book that addresses, in detail, the chemical composition of various snake (and or reptile) venoms, as well as the anatomy and physiology of the glands that produce them.

I own two books, both by Thomas Eisner, that do just that, but with regard to insects:

“Secret Weapons” ISBN: 0674024036

And

“For Love of Insects” ISBN: 0674018273

In both books we are presented with the individual species name and detailed descriptions of their chemical defense mechanisms (including toxins, venom, etc.). The books also provide the names and structures of the major compounds these creatures produce, as well as, diagrams of the important glands. The information these books provide is astonishing.

Does anyone here know of any good books that fit this description??

Thanks,
VV

Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
bcherps
Various scientific monthly publications cover venom composition, microbiology of, and evolution of. Try looking into Copeia, Toxicon, and the Journal of Toxicology to start.

thanks
ben

Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
AcidFreeze
Thanks Benjamin, and Dan for my next interesting topic of research. Dan If I find any other information on the topic I'll pass it along. I'll look in my back issues of Scientific American Magazine as well.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
AcidFreeze
Here is another hit I found whilst surfing. I hope it helps

Handbook of Natural Toxins

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...D19HDNN8QQWLTS

Greg Ville

Old 05-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Gary O
venomdoc.com

He is one of if not the leading venom researchers in the world.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!