Egg question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
juice it
Egg question

I have some eggs that have been in the incubator for 65 days and read somewhere today that if the eggs aren't moist enough then the shells may be too hard for the babies to get out of. The eggs look plump and not dimpled one bit and one single egg has a little dark spot on top with some clear ooze coming out and I thought it was going to be the first hatchling but it has been like that now for 2 days with nothing changing. Now I am worried I have not kept the egg medium moist enough. The humidity has been at around 80% in the incubator but the actual vermiculite doesn't stay too moist for long. Am I over thinking this or do I have a bunch of babies that can't get out? I did candle a couple the other day and saw movement so something is going on. ANy advice would be great. I have a bunch of anxious kids waiting and personally I really don't want to screw this up. Thx

Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
mikepanzarella
sometimes it takes 70+ days to hatch my last clutch took 73 days temp was 83-84 humidity around 85-90%
but remember make sure they are 6inches or 6 weeks you want them well started before they go out to people

Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Ed Clark
Leave them alone so they can hatch when they are ready.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
OEdwards
I have had some sweat 3 days or so before hatching leave them be and let the babies do the work.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Valley Dragons
Forget the humidity percentage...go by visual cues. If everything is right, you will see a line of moisture on the inside of your egg box that is level with the top of your hatching substrate. If the line of moisture is above that, you humidity is high and you can drown the embryo. Below the substrate line, and you can dry out the egg. Good luck!

Jamie Hough : )

Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
juice it
Today is day 69 and visually nothing has changed this past week. I candled about 7 of them tonight and out of those seven four were moving around and three I didn't see any movement but something is in them for sure. I am hoping I just have some late bloomers. Is there always a day when the eggs deflate and shrivel a bit before hatching or can you still have full plump eggs when the heads start popping out? What is the longest length of time you guys have experienced incubation? Thx.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
mikepanzarella
alot has to do with the temps that you incubate them at higher temps 86-88 will hatch faster lower temps 82-86 takes a bit longer i like to use 82-84 it took me last time 73 days but when they came out they seemed bigger guess it was the extra week in the egg then i left them in the incubator for a few more days after they hatched just so the temps and the humidity didnt spike on them i found this to be easier then misting/soaking them 2-3 times a day (wile they were still soaking up the egg sac )

Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
juice it
Three heads poking out tonight! Hopefully by morning more will follow. Thx for the advice. Jeff

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
juice it
Today I have 5 fully out, 4 head pokers and the rest haven't changed yet. Very exciting for friends and neighbors and my kids. The whole process was great to be a part of. Next time I will have to try my GTP's!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
mikepanzarella
great to hear they all should be out within a few days once one starts they all follow just make sure you have the food to feed all those hungry mouths
good luck its soo much fun raising babies

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!