Bearded Dragon Coughing. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Milo12111
Unhappy Bearded Dragon Coughing.

My baby bearded dragon has recently started coughing.
Does anybody know why this would be? Anything would be helpful.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
CarolinaClassicDragons
What kind of substrate are you using? May be early signs of a URI.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Milo12111
Right now I just have the carpet or something like that.
I was told that I should wait til he is a little bigger to put sand in there.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Milo12111
Before he coughs he sometimes makes a clicking sound.
I have noticed that he has been making the sound for the past couple days.
I am new to having a bearded dragon and so I am just looking for anything that can help.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
angie.h
Hi Brittanie....i'm sorry that your baby is worrying you. It does sound like an upper respiratory infection. How is he eating right now? Can you list your set up, type of lights [ brand + wattage ] , tank size, etc.? If temps. are low for too long, or humidity is too high [ or both] this can make them sick. Do you bathe him, and could he have aspirated some water ? Be sure that his basking spot is about 105, the cool side of the tank should be right about 82-84 degrees. Night temps. can be raised to about 80 as well. You may be able to nip it in the bud, but if not you generally need antibiotics.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Milo12111
Right now he is in a 10g tank, and he has two 75w lights from Sun Glo, it's all I can afford right now, and his nightly temp has been dropping lately because one of his nightlights burnt out, so I put a towel around the top of the tank to try and keep the warmth in. His day time basking spot is about 110 and the coolest area is 82-85, and nightly temps have been hitting 70-72 and a couple times hit 68. I feel absolutely horrible. I put a heat rock in there but he hated it so I took it out.
When I got him he was really bad off, the tank he was in had lots of sand and they just threw crickets in there, and they had no water, he was only about 2-3 weeks old and the people did not know how to take care of him and his brother at all. So, I bought them and tried my best to keep both of them alive but only Milo survived. Because of that he has a hard time eating his vegetables, so the main park of his diet is beetles and crickets. I try to force him to eat cabbage and lettuce and sometimes I can get him to eat it without me. I do feed him banana though, he really enjoys that. I have to hand feed him water, also because of when I first got him.
I bathe him regularly, too.
When I first noticed the coughing, it was when I was giving him water, so I sort of just shrugged it off thinking he has inhaled some. Then he started to making a clicking sound. I have only caught him coughing twice but he makes the clicking sound often.
Lately he hasn't been really eating the bugs either though, he will eat 2-3 and just stop.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
angie.h
Hi Brittanie, do you have the two 75 watt bulbs over the 10 gal. tank ? That would be way too hot for sure. A dragon can get sick from too much hheat as well as too little. And heat rocks can easily burn a reptile, so it's best not to use them. The Reptiglo is not a UVB bulb, it will provide lght + heat but the dragon needs a bulb like a Reptisun 10.0 flourescent tube. The 10 gal. tank is not a proper size to be able to achieve a heat gradient, it's really hard to have one side at 105 or so and the other at 80. You are better off with a medium to large clear plastic storage bin. You can just leave the lid off and clamp the heat lamps over it and set the Reptisun UVB over the top, or you can cut a large section of the lid off, glue some screen and keep the lid. On sunny days around 70 -80 , you can take it outside, but you must be sure to have an area that offers part shade over at least half of it. By the way, the type of veggies to offer are turnip, mustard , dandelion and collard greens, finely shredded. Fruit isn't really a staple, neither is cabbage. You mentioned that you fed him beetles ? Just use small crickets, phoenix worms or dubia's as your feeder insects. A good rule for size of prey items is no longer than the space between the eyes. You can use a spray bottle to gently spritz water on his nose to get him to drink, or use an eyedropper. I hope that he improves for you.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Milo12111
The beetles I get for him are dubia beetles, and if they are too large I cut them so he will eat them, and I have tried other foods but he really likes lettuce. I met a guy named Matt who has helped me with the food and what he should and shouldn't eat, he is the reason that Milo is still with me today.
His tank has a shaded area, I have cardboard over the side where his food and water is. That way I know he has an area where he can sit and cool off. Last night I got a Repti Basking Spot Lamp bulb by Zoo Med, is this a good bulb? Also right now my beardy is only about 4-5in in body length, and I have a 90g that I am fixing up that will be his soon, so the 10 is only his temp home at the moment.
If he does have URI, and it starts to get worse, what kind of medicine would be okay, and where could I get some?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!