Inquiry on Garrie Landry of Acadiana Aviaries - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® All messages posted here must conform to a basic rule of good taste and moderately good sense.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
PaulSage
Inquiry on Garrie Landry of Acadiana Aviaries

I was just wondering if anyone has completed a transaction with Garrie, and how it went.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Old 05-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
mycurlylocks
I have not personally bought from Garrie, but I know some individuals that have. They were well satisfied with their finches. We just didn't like them coming by mail, our mail here is not reliable.
Candy King

Old 05-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
PaulSage
Thanks for the info.

I had emailed him a few weeks ago about a few button quail to add to my flock (I know, BUTTON QUAIL?!?) and we've had to email back and forth a couple of times because he was out of certain ones, and had to check to see if he could indeed ship to my area. It takes him several days to respond to an email, and his replies are really brief. I just start to get the idea that he's not a real motivated seller, and sometimes those end up being the ones you wish you had avoided all together. We'll see though. I'll update when I know more.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
mycurlylocks
I've emailed Garrie before, his responses were brief to me also. Why not hatch your own button quail? They don't seem to travel well. Doesn't take too much to scare them to death.
I hatched buttons last year as a project with a small group of kids. Each child got a pair of buttons. We enjoyed watching these tiny little birds grow. There's almost always some eggs for sale on eggbid. I'll soon start hatching eggs again for the spring. I figured I would wait for closer to the end of the school year so the kids can help more with them.
Keep us updated, I assume he is a man with few words. I have a feeling he doesn't provide much in the way of support, but I could be wrong. Just a gut feeling.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
PaulSage
I have been hatching my own for quite a while now, but up here in WI the only ones you can find (if you can find them) are the regular white, silver, and normal colored ones. I was hoping to add a few other colors to the group just for the variety. In my searching to find breeders, Garrie was pretty much the only one who turned up. At one point he said that he was currently selling more hatching eggs than adults, but you never know what you'll end up with, and I'd rather not have a bunch to have to find homes for. I've always just collected the eggs and incubated them as I needed them. (the rest of the eggs got boiled and fed to the canaries )
Did you ever tame any of yours down for pets? We did for quite a few, and IMO they're much better pets than little blood-thirsty rodents - and they DON'T smell anywhere near as bad!!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
PaulSage
Okay, I think I have my order officially placed... at least I told him what I wanted and sent payment. Talking to him on the phone seemed to help expedite my inquiry. I'll update when I receive the shipment later this week.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:49 PM   #7
PaulSage
The post office called the other night at 9:30 and said I could come pick up the birds. ( I had no idea the PO allowed pick-ups so late). I went and got them, brought them home and put all of them away. They appeared a little stressed at first, but all 12 are doing fine two days later. The post office must be pretty gentle with the boxes since one of them laid an egg in the box, and it hadn't broken. All in all things went well once communication was established, so I would indeed recommend Garrie to anyone looking for the types of birds he offers.
Thanks,
Paul

Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
nueb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks
I've emailed Garrie before, his responses were brief to me also. Why not hatch your own button quail? They don't seem to travel well. Doesn't take too much to scare them to death.
I hatched buttons last year as a project with a small group of kids. Each child got a pair of buttons. We enjoyed watching these tiny little birds grow. There's almost always some eggs for sale on eggbid. I'll soon start hatching eggs again for the spring. I figured I would wait for closer to the end of the school year so the kids can help more with them.
Keep us updated, I assume he is a man with few words. I have a feeling he doesn't provide much in the way of support, but I could be wrong. Just a gut feeling.

I have been raising game birds for over 10 years and button quail is actually one of my specialties. I primarily sell to stores ect.. but i have purchased from garry a few times over the years to incorperate new blood lines ect.. eggs I was not to satisfied with but he also is shipping cross country so my hatch rate was exteremly low. if you are closer you may have better luck. I also wanted to metion I too have bout 100 button quail iwould like to get rid of a colony if anyone is interested in getting into breeding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!