Refusing a sale on a gut feeling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
SPJ
Refusing a sale on a gut feeling

Has anyone refused a sale to anyone just based on a gut feeling that it should not happen?

Last week I was contacted about an animal. I put it on hold pending a deposit. The deposit never came. I relisted it and a few days later I get asked to put it on hold again and a deposit is coming. I left the ad up and no deposit came.

Today I get a deposit for half of what the deposit was said to be by a different person (a friend) who wants to see the same photos I sent their friend previously.

The original deal was a certain amount down and balance on the 31st.

I just have a gut feeling that I should refund the deposit and refuse the sale. It just doesn't feel right.

I have this feeling that with the delays and multiple people pooling to buy the animal that this deal is going to go south. Nothing has gone smoothly with it.

Has anyone else had a feeling like this as a seller where it just doesn't feel right to continue with the deal?

The ad does say I reserve the right to refuse a sale. I've refused sales in the past with kids and retics and monitors or to people who have no idea how to care for an animal but that's about the only ones.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
kellysballs
You have every right to refuse a sale for any reason.

I personally have inquired about an animal and said I would purchase it. I never have asked for an animal to be placed on hold until I actually have at least half of the the purchase price. The animal I mentioned earlier I did end up purchasing 2 months after I originally inquired but I let the seller know what was happening and never expected the animal to be held for me to "get the money together".

I would say the circumstances are not necessarily "suspicious" but if you have a "gut" feeling about the situation go with it.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
monkeywrench133
Do yourself a favor and "just say no!" as Nancy Reagan would have said.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
hhmoore
Of course, Steve. There is nothing wrong with refusing a sale based on instinct.
On the matter of this new person. They sent you a deposit without prior communication? No discussion of payment completion, or any of the other details that go along with the transaction? If so, you can either straight up refund it and make no effort for this person, or run with it. They have given you a commitment to a sale. If, as a result, you spend your time on "customer service" - taking new pictures, modifying your schedule to meet with them, etc - that money is yours. If they choose not to complete that sale, you are fully justified in keeping their money (why would somebody send a deposit, THEN ask for more pictures??)

Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
shrap
I have told more than one person I would just rather not do business with them. Sometimes for very obvious reasons and other times simply because the person or circumstances didnt feel right to me.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
E2MacPets
Harold, I don't think I'd agree. Don't move forward thinking that "however this plays out I get the deposit money." That's not a good way to do business in my opinion.

I'd say refund the money and refuse the sale.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
LadyOhh
I would refund the money and refuse the sale as well.

If you don't feel comfortable, AND it involves a living creature that can be taken advantage of, in my opinion, don't do it.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by E2MacPets
Harold, I don't think I'd agree. Don't move forward thinking that "however this plays out I get the deposit money." That's not a good way to do business in my opinion.

I'd say refund the money and refuse the sale.
So, are you saying that he should pull the animal off the market, tell other prospective buyers that the animal is unavailable, make himself available to meet with the person, etc, then just say, "Oh, you don't REALLY want the snake? OK, here's your money back."? I'll even give you that one - because in many cases, I would do just that. But where do you draw the line? *more later

The first option I presented was to just refund the deposit and make no effort for this person. The second was to accept the deposit and consider it a sale. If the customer renegs, Steve IS justified in keeping the money. Whether he chooses to do so will likely depend on just how much of his time is wasted, as well as miscellaneous other factors. Keeping a deposit may seem harsh, but sometimes it is the right thing to do. It is a commitment to a sale...pending completion of payment. When/if it becomes something else, I think you will see a lot less people accepting deposits.

Now - back to that line that I mentioned above. (And remember, what I said was that if Steve accepted the sale, and put efforts into "customer service", he would be fully justified in keeping the money.) Let's say that Steve gives the person his money back. Another person comes along and does the same thing - gives a deposit, comes and looks at the snake, then says - you know what, it isn't quite what I was expecting. Somebody else just doesn't bother to show up, then asks for a refund. At what point do you draw the line and stop returning the money? If a customer isn't ready to commit to a purchase, they should not be giving a deposit - it really is that simple. If the customer wants to ask for more pictures, or to see the animal in person - that is a part of selling animals, and I don't think anybody would say that they wouldn't do it. It is part of the decision making process. That all happens before the deposit, and if the animal sells in the mean time...well, you are SOL. I have purchased animals based on descriptions or pictures, and been less than thrilled with the animal I saw upon receipt. Are you suggesting that if the animal is healthy, and is clearly the animal pictured (or it matches the description), that I am automatically entitled to a refund?? (sure, some sellers offer unconditional returns, but unless it is specified I wouldn't expect it) All that said, I also happen to know that Steve has had several people not show up for appts to see this animal, as well as verbal/written commitments to purchase that have not resulted in a completed sale. He has also added to his ad this statement:
Quote:
No holds unless it is with a non-refundable deposit and the price is firm.
Which indicates that Steve has reached that line, IMO. All my initial post was meant to do is acknowledge that IF he accepts this deposit (as a commitment to a sale), he IS fully justified in keeping it if the person decides not to follow through.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
SPJ
What really gets me about this deal are the fact that on 2 occasions I was supposed to recieve a deposit and the deposit never came. Then the deposit does come and it is half of what I was told was being put down. Then the person I had all the correspondence with says his friend is sending the money. That friend does finally send some money but asks to see pictures of what he just put a deposit on. That is strange. If these 2 are partners, you would think BOTH would have seen the pictures I took for one.

I just have this gut feeling that this is 2 people that don't have the money and are trying to scrape it up or it is one person who asked his buddy to loan him money and send it to me and that person was interested in seeing what he just put a deposit on.

It's just a feeling but after having 2 people pull the no call/no show after insisting that they were coming and I held the animal on their word and then now this going on with this new buyer, I just feel a bit leary. This deal just doesn't "feel" right.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
SPJ
I sent both an email asking what happened with the missed deposit dates and why it was half of what was said. I gave them the option of me refunding the deposit right now if they cannot come up with the rest of the money and told them that I am considering it a non-refundable deposit and the balance is due on the 31st. If the balance does not arrive Friday, they lose the deposit and I relist the animal.
I'll see what response I get. Based on that, I will decide whether or not to continue with them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!