Regurgitation Help-Trying to throw-up, nothing coming out?? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Elepheguttata007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepheguttata007 View Post
What's an RI?
Oh, respiratory infection...I looked it up, and it does fit his description..I will check into it. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Matt2979
Quote:
What's an RI?
Respiratory Infection, and it can cause a snake to drown on their own saliva/mucous, if not treated. Do you have a good reptile vet??

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
What's an RI?
RI is respiratory infection, a bacterial infection in the lungs (edit - lung as snakes only have one working lung). I've seen boas and burms expel fluid from the mouth as you described (like trying to vomit) and they had very bad RIs.

What are the temps in the tank? cool/hot end? how are you measuring the temps? What is your humidity?

Usually once it's the point where you see fluid, the snake will need anti-biotics from the vet for the snake to fully recover as well as making sure the environmental temps, humidity and cleanliess of the enclosure is very carefully watched.

some general reading about RIs:
http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html
http://www.angelfire.com/al/repticare2/page18.html

Old 02-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Elepheguttata007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
Respiratory Infection, and it can cause a snake to drown on their own saliva/mucous, if not treated. Do you have a good reptile vet??
Yes, I Just called and made an appt. I hope he'll be ok.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Elepheguttata007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
RI is respiratory infection, a bacterial infection in the lungs (edit - lung as snakes only have one working lung). I've seen boas and burms expel fluid from the mouth as you described (like trying to vomit) and they had very bad RIs.

What are the temps in the tank? cool/hot end? how are you measuring the temps? What is your humidity?

Usually once it's the point where you see fluid, the snake will need anti-biotics from the vet for the snake to fully recover as well as making sure the environmental temps, humidity and cleanliess of the enclosure is very carefully watched.

some general reading about RIs:
http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html
http://www.angelfire.com/al/repticare2/page18.html
The temps are fine..I feel extremely stupid, but I believe the issue is mold. I just cleaned his cage and found mold hiding in some cracks. In a log I have in there..I never thoroughly looked through that stuff. I was ignorant. I feel extremely bad..and am currently crying over it :'( ..Cause I was so stupid to not look hard enough when cleaning, and now he could possibly die..
Thank you for the info, he'll be into the vet tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
AbsoluteApril
don't feel stupid, everyone makes mistakes (I've made more than my share with keeping herps over the years!) - there's a very good chance your snake will still recover, you are doing the right thing going to the vet. Please let us know if you have any other questions about the treatment, giving injections to a large constrictor can be a bit intimidating, make sure the vet shows you how and you have someone there that can assist you with holding the snake. Good luck and I hope you have a good outcome!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
Elepheguttata007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
don't feel stupid, everyone makes mistakes (I've made more than my share with keeping herps over the years!) - there's a very good chance your snake will still recover, you are doing the right thing going to the vet. Please let us know if you have any other questions about the treatment, giving injections to a large constrictor can be a bit intimidating, make sure the vet shows you how and you have someone there that can assist you with holding the snake. Good luck and I hope you have a good outcome!
I appreciate it, got him in tonight, he's gonna be fine! Caught it soon enough. He's pretty good about the injections. *sigh* I'm so relieved...Thanks so much for everything.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
Matt2979
Wow! You already got him to the vet tonight? What are you having to give him?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
Snakesitter
Congrats on the quick vet turn! Did they confirm it as an RI?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
crotalusadamanteus
No offense, but.."temps are fine" is hardly an answer that gives enough info for people to try and help you out. I've heard that answer many times, and when finally get an actual number from them, it turns out that temps were not "fine". Lets try it again.

What are the temps at?
About what level is the humidity at as far as % goes?
What do you use to measure them?
How do you heat the enclosure?
How long have you had the Boa?
Is this the only Boa you have?
What did the vet give you to inject?
What sort of instructions did they give you for injections?

(I ask the latter 2 questions, because I have been given bad instruction from vets that were not really as qualified with reptiles as they led me to believe, and their instructions led to damage from improper injection of certain meds)

Sorry for being direct, but when you ask for help, either from online sources, or a vet, accurate info is the key to getting the answers you might need, and your answer is very vague.

In my experience, if you are seeing bloody saliva, that is more indicative of pneumonia. That is about as advanced an URI as you can get. Not all snakes have one working lung, some have both functional lungs. But this is true of Boas, and only having one functional lung makes URI a very serious with Boas, and possibly a life threatening situation. I have lost a few in my time that I was told "no problem, give them this, and they'll be fine". Never assume with them, and always treat as if they are seriously ill, because in reality, they really are with advanced URI.

Good luck

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!