first time Hogg Island Boa Breeder - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #31
ShadowAceD
You won't get babies that will look more like Hogs. If anything, the Hog blood will be diluted further.

I would not breed them.

They're nice looking animals, so I would keep them as nice looking pets.

If you breed them (I mean no offense by this, I am just being realistic), you'll just be creating more mutt boas that will sell for minimal or just become pet store animals.

300.00 isn't really the most expensive lesson to learn. You can try to resell them for what you paid for them.

Some people would just breed them anyway. It's up to you. I doubt anyone who responded in this thread would breed them.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
"Yes they can, and they are the same species.
Look up Sunset boas, this is project that breeds hypo(morph) columbians to the hogs
This don't cross breed crap irks me. Especially from people who don't know the taxonomy of the species. There are only 2 breeders in the US that I know of to have pure HOGG Island locale BCIs. The rest are pretty much already been breed to other BCI locals, mostly Colombians, and that is where the hog(single g) started. Guess what? This is not even a subspecies hybrid. Now if red-tail refers to BCC or any other BC(sp) not BCI then you create a subspecies cross"

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
That was from a friend who emailed me.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
ShadowAceD
You should spend more time researching boas before breeding. Buying boas just to breed them is not as profitable or beneficial as you may think.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #35
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismaSandBoaMorphs View Post
"Yes they can, and they are the same species.
Look up Sunset boas, this is project that breeds hypo(morph) columbians to the hogs
This don't cross breed crap irks me. Especially from people who don't know the taxonomy of the species. There are only 2 breeders in the US that I know of to have pure HOGG Island locale BCIs. The rest are pretty much already been breed to other BCI locals, mostly Colombians, and that is where the hog(single g) started. Guess what? This is not even a subspecies hybrid. Now if red-tail refers to BCC or any other BC(sp) not BCI then you create a subspecies cross"
Your friend should be informed it's Hog Island, not Hogg, despite what he may think. They are named from the islands they originate from. And he is wrong. There are plenty of people that have pure Hog Islands.

As I stated before about the Sunsets, those are selectively bred animals that took years to create. Your boas are not Sunsets and it would take a long time and plenty of money to make them into Sunset project animals.

If you want to make more mutt boas, go for it. Like I said, I wouldn't do it and most people I know wouldn't do it.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #36
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Also, that was each. Not for the pair.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #37
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Its just a huge let down. I thought for sure I'd finally have a chance to breed something this season.
I'm more someone who does it as a hobby than for a living like most of you.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #38
ShadowAceD
I don't do it for a living, it is my hobby.

If my boas ever pull in enough money to pay for themselves, I'll be happy.

Just seems like you jumped the gun a little in your excitement. A little more research would have shown those are definitely not Pure Hogs. Like I said, you can try to resell them, but I don't know if you'll get 300.00 a piece for them.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Idk, according to my research, there is rarely a PURE hog island.
The gene has been known for quite some time and has been mixed with EVERYTHING.
Unless you have papers to go with your hogs, it's all up to the buyer/seller, no?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #40
ShadowAceD
Pure Hogs are not as rare as people claim, you just have to find the right person. Most locality specific breeders do not advertise with anything more than word of mouth, so it is up to you to find them.

It is not a gene, it is a sub species of boa from Cayos los Cochions.

Papers are important, yes, but a Hog looks like a Hog expect when it is not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, hogg island boa