first time Hogg Island Boa Breeder - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #51
JCCS
Jacob, what you are engaging in at the moment is called "rationalization". Also a couple of other really interesting defense mechanisms. You're making the psychology student in me try to peak his head out.

Beyond that, to whatever list you have made out of people with pure bloodlines of Hogs, you can add me to it. When I bought Hog Island boas, I made sure that I went to reliable breeders that could directly trace their stock back to Bob Sears. Bob was the first person to ever import them into the US and he collected his animals directly from the islands and flew them back himself. It's a pretty solid bloodline if you can make sure the animals came from him.

Even if they were $300 a piece, which I think you went against that somewhere in this thread that you seem to be adding to at a pretty maddening pace, it's not a horrible loss. It's an expensive lesson, sure, but make it the lesson worthwhile. You can't just throw money at something and assume it's gonna work out later. Invest some time and thought into what you're doing before you invest the money.

What you do with those snakes is your choice, of course, but I can pretty well tell you that nobody is going to want the babies for anything more than pets, and that's if you're lucky. Getting rid of that litter of snakes is going to be a chore that will probably cost more money than it produces.

Chris

Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #52
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
All I am asking is there anything else I can breed these with to make pretty babies? Regardless of being "crosses" or not.
I just want to know what I can pair them with to make more pretty snakes. I don't care about making more hogs, that is out the door. I just am simply asking WHAT can I do with these to make more beautiful snakes? Do I cross them with other morphs or breed them together and make more of these? I am just asking for some help. I need to do something with the hand I have.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #53
JCCS
Honestly, in my opinion, there is nothing you can do with them that would make truly desirable babies. Breeding for yourself is great, but you have to figure out what you're going to do with the rest of the babies after you make the ones you want.

Also, don't assume that pure Hogs are small, I have an absolutely pure 12 yr old female that is a solid 7' and around 18 lbs.

Chris

Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #54
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismaSandBoaMorphs View Post
All I am asking is there anything else I can breed these with to make pretty babies? Regardless of being "crosses" or not.
I just want to know what I can pair them with to make more pretty snakes. I don't care about making more hogs, that is out the door. I just am simply asking WHAT can I do with these to make more beautiful snakes? Do I cross them with other morphs or breed them together and make more of these? I am just asking for some help. I need to do something with the hand I have.
The answer from most people in this thread is "No."

As I've said.

Some people would breed them, sure, I would not.

I would set them aside, resell them, do more research into breeding and boas themselves and then decide on what I want to do.

I've had boas for six years and am just really settling down with breeding projects this year. I tried two years prior and was not really as ready for it as I am now.

Boa breeding is also a crap chute. Just because you put two together and they breed does not mean the female takes, the male is sterile or any other thing that can and does go wrong with boa breeding. Boas are not nice enough to read all the books and watch all the videos we have.

I do not think you thought this through beyond just wanting to make snakes.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #55
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Honestly, in my opinion, there is nothing you can do with them that would make truly desirable babies. Breeding for yourself is great, but you have to figure out what you're going to do with the rest of the babies after you make the ones you want.

Also, don't assume that pure Hogs are small, I have an absolutely pure 12 yr old female that is a solid 7' and around 18 lbs.

Chris
True story, I've seen her in person. Gorgeous girl.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #56
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Ou are acting as if I have to defend something. All I am asking is that someone tell me what I can do with the snakes I currently have. You can't tell me they are worthless because they are crosses. I'm asking what should I breed them with for best result since I am breeding them anyway?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #57
ShadowAceD
Yes, I can tell you that and I am.

They are not "marketable" crosses.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #58
JCCS
You wanted advice, you got it. Then you got pissy because it wasn't the advice you wanted to hear and talking about subjects of which you know nothing about. That would be getting defensive. I've said my piece on what I would do if I were in your shoes. If you don't want the boas, I would find a home for them with someone who does, just don't try to represent them as pure Hogs.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #59
Snakesitter
Jacob, respectfully, I would have to agree that it's probably best not to breed these animals. The market is glutted with lower-end or cross-bed specimens from too many species as is (for example, look at the countless male ball pythons in need of good homes), and these (the ones you did not keep) would just be more of the same. Again, said with utmost respect -- I'm terribly sorry you did not purchase the animals you thought.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #60
AbsoluteApril
personally I avoid buying crosses (except my hypos but that was because I got into them before I realized they were locality crosses as well). Some people don't care if a boa is a cross and will buy the babies only for their looks (some call these 'designer boas' others call any morph a 'designer boa'). Others put importance on it and will not buy crosses.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, hogg island boa