????sunsets???? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #31
hhmoore
see what I mean

about people tossing around the terms codominant and dominant.
Quote:
Codominant - an allele that causes the homozygous form to look different than wild type and the heterozygous form to have traits of both. (All three look different from each other.)

Dominant - an allele that causes the homozygous form and the heterozygous form to look the same as each other, but different than wild type.
According to the definitions, you don't split the terms for the homozygous and heterzygous traits - they are either dominant or codominant.
so motley would be a codom trait in that the homozygous, heterozygous, and WT all look different from each other; and hypo would be a dominant, because you cannot consistently tell the homo from the het form.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #32
hhmoore
btw - just for the record, my academic history contained only the most cursory exposure to genetics; meaning that I, too, am learning as I go. I have made some of the same assumptions and errors, and probably still make (or will make) others. Thankfully, I have been corrected along the way, and (I think) I have a pretty good grasp on the basics now.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:54 AM   #33
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
about people tossing around the terms codominant and dominant.

According to the definitions, you don't split the terms for the homozygous and heterzygous traits - they are either dominant or codominant.
so motley would be a codom trait in that the homozygous, heterozygous, and WT all look different from each other; and hypo would be a dominant, because you cannot consistently tell the homo from the het form.
Right on!

BTW folks, the definition for hypomelanistic is simply a reduced amount of melanin. So, Hog island boas are certainly hypo. In the case of Hogs the reduced melanin is not caused by a single gene like salmons but is inherited in a polygenic manner.

A Sunset is a selectively bred boa that combines the homozygous salmon gene and the best examples of reduced melanin Hogs.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #34
extreme_bci
[quote=I havent seen a super arab beside bin ladden...LOL[/QUOTE]

LOL..

Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #35
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dwight
BTW folks, the definition for hypomelanistic is simply a reduced amount of melanin. So, Hog island boas are certainly hypo. In the case of Hogs the reduced melanin is not caused by a single gene like salmons but is inherited in a polygenic manner.
Covered that one too, lol
Quote:
That said, I will say that I have had some discussions on the topic of hog island boas being hypomelanistic. Certainly, they exhibit a lack of melanin - no argument there...but that does not necessarily mean that this form of hypomelanism is genetically transferred in the same way as with salmons

Old 09-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #36
Boa4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybocknyg
oh yeah! Josh thanks for TRYING to help me...and thanks to everyone that helped clear that up...
Alex your not the only one that thought a hypo x hypo breeding would yeild 100% hypo's i did too. In fact there a site that I know for sure i read it on it would be nice if it was true but unfortuneatly its not like Harald said 25% normal 75% hypo 25% being super. I thought it was 100% hypo 50% super. I recently learned on this site thats not the case......
Heres the site that I read it..........
http://www.buddhaboa.com/content/view/44/80/lang,en/
Well thanks for the info Vincent. I saw the link and you are correct. Thanks also to Harald and Mark for clearing things up, I think. So let me see if I got this straight:

Hypo x Normal = 50% Hypo, 50% Normal
Hypo x Hypo = 25% Super Hypos, 50% Hypos, 25% Normals
Super Hypo x Normal = 100% Hypos
Super Hypo x Hypo = 50% Super Hypo, 50% Hypo
Super Hypo x Super Hypo = 100% Super Hypos

Old 09-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #37
M.Dwight
Quote:
Covered that one too, lol
Sorry. Somehow I missed that post
Quote:
I have a pretty good grasp on the basics now.
I agree

Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #38
vinnybocknyg
Thats it Alex Im glad you got it staightened out!!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #39
vinnybocknyg
I was just looking at the link again there actually wrong about another thing too there it says hypo het albino x hypo het albino=25% sunglow 50% hypo het albino and 25% hypo........?????????
The true outcome would be 25% sunglow 50% hypo (66%) het albino and 25% normal (66%) albino....
Someone should really fix that before I had my own knowledge I refered to that chart for everything......

Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #40
Griz
Wait a minute guys. If you breed hypo x hypo you get 100% hypo's with 50% being potential supers. You will not get any normals out of that mix. I know this first hand as I breed that combo. Where in the world are you getting 25% normals?

Griz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!