Response I recieved from Senator Bob Casey on Pa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
BAD Morphs
Response I recieved from Senator Bob Casey on Pa

Dear Mr. Long:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 373. I appreciate hearing from all Pennsylvanians about the issues that matter most to them.

Senator Bill Nelson of Florida introduced S. 373 on February 3, 2009, at which time it was referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am not a member. This bill would amend the federal criminal code to add the constrictor snake of the species Python genera to the list of injurious species that are prohibited from being shipped or imported into the United States.

I recognize that many Pennsylvanians are concerned about the implications of this proposal. Therefore, I will continue to closely monitor this matter. Should the full Senate consider this or related proposals, pleased be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

As always, I appreciate your views, thoughts, and concerns as they assist me in understanding what is important to the people of Pennsylvania. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Twizted Paths

Better then the no response I got from Vonivich and the standard form from Brown.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
BAD Morphs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post

Better then the no response I got from Vonivich and the standard form from Brown.
Yeah but I was told by some fellow pennsylvanians that they got the same exact email from him.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Twizted Paths
At least the actual bill is mentioned, that's more than I'm getting!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
knlreptiles
Hey if he keeps that in mind that is good enough For me! I really hope thiscrap doesn't go through

Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
mrwenninger
I got the same email but at least he knows many people are interested!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Twizted Paths
Hey,Off Topic but, WebSlave made a new spot for USARK to keep us updated & answer questions. It'll help keep all this stuff centralized too

Spiffy New Spot

Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
EdwardK
When dealing with your senators, you will have more of an impact by sending in a hand written letter, calling them or meeting with them face to face as oppposed to sending them a form letter/e-mail or a e-mail. The latter two are given the least amount of weight as it doesn't take a lot of effort to contact them via those methods.

If you send him a handwritten letter you should get a better response.. or contact them for a face to face meeting. It should be noted that the response you got from him can also be sent to those people who are for the listing of all pythons....

Ed

Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
mikeyt
Hello, as a fellow pennsylvanian, I would liket to add a few things. Lets forget about government for a minute with this bill and look at the more logical. This is based only on the info that has been been posted and that I have read. If I am wrong in anyway, please let me know.

First- If I am correct this bill is the result of problems that have started and currently exist in the state of florida. Lets pose the question, what would happen to all of the animals currently in collections and owned if this bill passed? Would the government start a euthanizing program so that we could dispose of our animals? How many will participate in that? NONE !. What will be the reprocussions if we choose not to follow the law? Last I looked cocaine, heroin, pot and many other things are illegal and how many still do those things? How many people are getting busted and serving hard time for 1 joint? Law goes after the big guys, so therefore I think the large scale breeders will be the ones to pay the higher price, before the little guy, which is not fair to them. OR, will people become panic an start to let loose their animals into the wild and create an even larger problem that they are trying to solve in the first place. People are not gonna give up on their pets, which some consider part of their family.

Second- This is to be a 3 billion dollar a year industry in the U.S., and as we all know this business is also large part cash, so that figure is only based on what is reported each year. This bill would have a rapid effect on the economy in an already unstable one at that. The government stands to lose alot in tax revenue, and takes on the risk of more people trying to do this behind closed doors and under the table which will lead to other issues.

Third- In a time when government ratings are low, local governments are cutting local and state positions, who in the world will enforce these laws. Pennsylvania cannot and does not enforce their own current reptile laws, how in the world would they ever enforce these.

Fourth- Back to a PA thing. I feel that everyone has a right to keep reptiles as they choose as long as they can properly maintain and take care of that animal. I have heard from many in Pa (dont know about any other states), that if such a bill is passed the first thing that many would gripe about is the keeping of venomous in PA. How are they gonna complain about a guy with a 10 foot python, when the 18 year old neighbor kid has to cobras, a rattlenake, and a pit viper.

I think that this bill if passed will create bigger and worse issues then most government officials and people alike have even considered.

Whats happens in Florida should stay in Florida

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!