Toads? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Shads
Toads?

My hog went a month without eating, took one pinky, and now two months after that I cannot get him to eat. He just goes into full hissing threat display and smacks the mice before running. I'm getting worried and thinking of ordering in a toad from the local pet shop to try, but I'm not really familiar with toads other than firebellies (which I know are poisonous).

Anyone who knows more about this than me, what species would you recommend? He's only about a foot long and not very thick so it can't be too large. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
jsrocket
Are you using live pinks, or dead ones? How are you presenting the prey item to the snake?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Shads
I got him in October. Up until February when he stopped eating, I would place him in a cardboard box and wiggle a dead pink or two at him and he'd scarf them down in a few seconds. Exact same thing the last time, only he refused it. And the time after. And after.. the one he took in between the fasts was taken in his tank (I thought maybe he had something against the box), but that hasn't worked a second time.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
jsrocket
Before going to toads (or toad scenting), I would try a live pink.

You want to trigger a feeding response, not a defensive one. Place the live pink carefully in front of the hoggie, trying not to frighten him, then carefully close the cage and leave the room for about 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
hhmoore
what kind of hog is it?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
99Vengeur
I have the same problem with my male. And he went so far as to "musk" (or whatever it is) the last time I tried to feed him. My female is a monster when it comes to her feeding response...wish my male would follow suit. I am almost at the point where I am going to try a live pink, but the pet store only has them on Tuesdays, so I guess he'll have to wait a few more days.

If the live pink doesn't work, how long can it remain in the cage, and what else could be done?

Thanks,

Old 06-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Vengeur
I have the same problem with my male. And he went so far as to "musk" (or whatever it is) the last time I tried to feed him. My female is a monster when it comes to her feeding response...wish my male would follow suit. I am almost at the point where I am going to try a live pink, but the pet store only has them on Tuesdays, so I guess he'll have to wait a few more days.

If the live pink doesn't work, how long can it remain in the cage, and what else could be done?

Thanks,
Do you keep the two of them together (in the same cage), or separately?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
99Vengeur
I do keep them physically in the same cage, but they are separated by a divider. The two sides of the cage are set up like mirror images, with their own water, hides and heat supply.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Vengeur
I do keep them physically in the same cage, but they are separated by a divider. The two sides of the cage are set up like mirror images, with their own water, hides and heat supply.
You may find that the male will feed better if you put him in a separate cage, where he can't see (or smell) the female.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
99Vengeur
Well, they can't see through the divider. And I did notice that my female would not take the mouse that he refused...which was after he "musked." It must be that he smells her.

They are the same age, but she is 20 inches long and he is only about 11 inches in length. Now I know that the females are naturally larger than the males, but I would have thought they would be a little closer in size.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!