Snake with substrate sticking to vent ?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2018, 03:31 AM   #1
cailsnake
Snake with substrate sticking to vent ??

Hi, I’m new to this forum but I had a question I’d try and pose.

I have a blizzard cornsnake, I sure how old she is as she was a rescue from an odd situation. Last week she had an incident where she got stuck in a climbing log and ended up with a bit of a prolapsed rectum as well as some other things (including an infertile egg that needed removing, which side note is that normal for a cornsnake that isn’t being and hasn’t been bred to lay eggs?). And long story short she’s now getting antibiotic shots to help her out.

So my question is because she’s had this tendency to get these prolapsed, she always ends up with some of her substrate stuck on her vent area. I have her on coconut fiber, eco earth, and it seems to just always stick there. When I handle her I try my best to wipe some off gently, but I’m wondering if that could potentially cause any problems/If I should move her onto something like paper towels for the time being so that can’t happen?

Thanks!!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
bcr229
I am surprised that your vet did not recommend putting her on paper towels or newspaper until this clears up. Typically a critter on antibiotics is kept in a minimalist setup - paper substrate, water bowl, warm hide & cool hide - with nothing else in the enclosure.

Hopefully the climbing log has also been removed so there are no more incidents with it.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
elena
Animals with a history of prolapse should not be kept on loose substrate.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I'd think newspaper would be the best way to start - less likely to stick than paper towels. My boas have been on newspaper all their lives with no problems. I use a layer of 4 sheets thickness. If you find newspaper unlovely to look at, top with a layer of unprinted newsprint (butchers' paper)

Hope it helps!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
elena
Yes, like Helen I keep most of my animals on paper substrate, paper towel for neonates, newspaper for juveniles and single-ply cage liners for adults. The only animals I keep on loose substrate are burrowing species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
corn snake, health issue, substrate, vent