HELP!!! Crested bred too young?!?!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
jfreemo75
Unhappy HELP!!! Crested bred too young?!?!?

I just purchased a female crested gecko female yesterday at a reptile show. She's a cute little thing and weighs 25 grams and is 8 inches long. They told me she is about 1 year, but I don't really agree with comparing her to some of my other females. They also told me that she has already been breed! They had one of her hatchlings there for sale too. I couldn't believe it!!! I know you should not breed females until they are at least 35 grams, 40 is best. I know once they are breed, they may lay fertile eggs for the season. Is there something I can do to help her so she doesn't crash from laying eggs when she's so young and without enough weight to make it safe? I am adding a bit of extra calcium to her CGD and dusting her crickets. Just wanted to know if there is more that I can do for this poor girl.
Thanks for any and all help!!!
Julie

Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreemo75 View Post
I just purchased a female crested gecko female yesterday at a reptile show. She's a cute little thing and weighs 25 grams and is 8 inches long. They told me she is about 1 year, but I don't really agree with comparing her to some of my other females. They also told me that she has already been breed! They had one of her hatchlings there for sale too. I couldn't believe it!!! I know you should not breed females until they are at least 35 grams, 40 is best. I know once they are breed, they may lay fertile eggs for the season. Is there something I can do to help her so she doesn't crash from laying eggs when she's so young and without enough weight to make it safe? I am adding a bit of extra calcium to her CGD and dusting her crickets. Just wanted to know if there is more that I can do for this poor girl.
Thanks for any and all help!!!
Julie
Rather than adding the extra calcium to the CGD, put some of the dry calcium into a tiny dish-like a Gatorade cap-and she'll dose herself when she needs it.

Also, make sure it's pure calcium-with no Vitamin D. She could overdose on it because it's toxic in high amounts.

Good luck with your new girl!!

Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
jfreemo75
Thanks! I put a bowl of calcium (w/out vit. D) next to her CGD last night. Not sure if she ate any, but she chowed on her CGD. I'm thinking maybe she recently laid eggs before I bought her and she was just wiped out and then hungry and stressed from being in a little plastic container all day. She seems much better now, but still a little weak.
Thanks again!
Julie

Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Leif
Have you checked her calcium sacks? How does her tail look? Nice and straight or zig-zag?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Thanks! I put a bowl of calcium (w/out vit. D) next to her CGD last night. Not sure if she ate any, but she chowed on her CGD. I'm thinking maybe she recently laid eggs before I bought her and she was just wiped out and then hungry and stressed from being in a little plastic container all day. She seems much better now, but still a little weak.
Thanks again!
Julie
She may also be a bit dehydrated.

You can add a small dish of PediaLyte to her tank to help rehydrate her.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Thanks again!
Julie
She may also be a bit dehydrated.

You can add a small dish of PediaLyte to her tank to help rehydrate her.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
jfreemo75
Her tail is nice and straight. I checked her calcium sacs a few days ago and they were about 1/4 of what they should be. I haven't checked them again, but was planning to this weekend. She has been eating almost all of her CGD every day, and seems much more lively. She weighs 32 grams now, so I'm not as worried. She's been drinking alot of water off of plants and the cage wall, but I may try the pedialyte too, just to be sure.

Thanks for all the help!
Julie

Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Leif
Thats 7 grams in a week! That's a big and fast improvement. I'm glad to hear she is in great hands. The CGD and crickets dusted with calcium that has D3 should fill those sacks in no time. Just as Donna said, keep the dish of plain old calcium in the tank. Keep us updated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!