Why you should avoid Super Lube, Quicky Lube, etc. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #11
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yeah, getting a lift installed when I had the garage built has to be one of my better ideas in life. Saved me a bundle of money when I had to make LOTS of repairs the 2002 vette after two shops nearly destroyed it. Plus work I have done here and there on Connie's 2001 Silverado. I thought it was kind of a impulse idea at the time, because I didn't expect to be doing much more than oil changes using it. But I had sold a lot of my guns to pay for the garage, and the cost of the lift and installation was actually very reasonable and I did have the money available. So why not?

Anyway, if that shop doesn't accept cars with aluminum oil pans for doing oil changes, I believe there are a LOT of vehicles they will be turning away. Connie's truck has an aluminum oil pan, so that indicates to me that a LOT of Chevy and GM trucks have the same since they all will have the same engine group.

As for someone using an impact wrench on an oil drain plug...... Most oil drain plugs are going to be torqued between 18 and 25 ft/lbs, so they shouldn't need a lot of muscle to remove them or put them back in place. Personally I never use an impact wrench for anything other than REMOVING bolts and nuts. NEVER use it to put them back on.

I agree with turning a lot of vehicles away. It seems to me, not being a gear head, it would be a pretty common thing. I have a 04 Honda odyssey and they are pretty popular around here.

As far as using an impact wrench to put them on I could be wrong about that. Maybe it was just to take them off. I know I have had a heck of a time removing some lug nuts put on with an impact wrench.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
As far as using an impact wrench to put them on I could be wrong about that. Maybe it was just to take them off. I know I have had a heck of a time removing some lug nuts put on with an impact wrench.
Yeah, I hear that about the lug nuts. Whenever I have to have the wheels removed on the vehicles, I request that they do NOT use impact wrenches when putting the lug nuts back on.

A long while back I was out in the national forest with a friend of mine (since deceased) in my full sized Ford Bronco when I got a flat tire. Now Art Meyer was a military guy that trained local police cadets in hand to hand combat and not some light weight wimpy sort of guy. It took BOTH of us manning the "+" style lug wrench to get those lug nuts off. Honestly, had I been by myself, no way in hell I would have been able to get them off. So then what would I have done? That was long before the time of cell phones, not that I would have likely had reception out in the Apalachicola National Forest anyway. Heck, I might STILL be a pile of bones out there alongside the road after the mosquitoes had their way with me. So yeah, that left a BIG impression on me.

I use a torque wrench on the lug nuts too. First pass at 50 ft/lbs, then the second at 100 ft/lbs, then double check each and every one of them seems to work just fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!