About the BOI and it's future here... - Page 18 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #171
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
I'm all for the BOI going pay to play!
Me too. I've paid to read Consumer Reports online, and would pay a yearly fee to access the BOI.

As for the whiners, if THEY had to take time and money to keep a site up for the benefit of others for years, you bet they'd change their tune in a hurry.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #172
wstphal
I'm OK with the BOI becoming pay-to-play. In fact, although I am a reptile noobie, I am gonna go pay now so I can be sure of having it for at least a little longer!

Old 11-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #173
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
Then again, the big downside to trying this is the massive flood of e-mails from people whining about having to pay, asking why they can't access BOI threads, asking why the BOI might suddenly be going away, whining that Rich is just a money-grubber, whining about how unfair it is, etc.
eh - he's heard all that before
Rich - I supported the idea before, and I will again.
Set up a link with the title Having trouble accessing the BOI?; point out that the writing has been on the wall, and this has been discussed openly for many months; state the new policy; and tell them how to participate if they want to...
Then, disable the Contact Us email, or send it right to the garbage; post a message to the membership (in a closed thread, lol); take Connie away for a few days, and forget about the situation. Post pics of you relaxing when you return (nothing too extravagant for that particular one, lol, or you'll set off a whole new bunch of comments about you funding your vacations and toys with everybody's hard earned money....though, there is something to be said about the idea of you being in a grass skirt, and having an umbrella drink in your hand, to really set the mood, lol).

Can't help but wonder how many people clicked on Having trouble accessing the BOI?, in the above

Old 11-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #174
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
you being in a grass skirt, and having an umbrella drink in your hand
I'd pay a surcharge just to see a pic, better yet, a video of a hula dance attempt

Old 11-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #175
DAND
Quote:
eh - he's heard all that before
Rich - I supported the idea before, and I will again.
Set up a link with the title Having trouble accessing the BOI?; point out that the writing has been on the wall, and this has been discussed openly for many months; state the new policy; and tell them how to participate if they want to...
Then, disable the Contact Us email, or send it right to the garbage; post a message to the membership (in a closed thread, lol); take Connie away for a few days, and forget about the situation. Post pics of you relaxing when you return (nothing too extravagant for that particular one, lol, or you'll set off a whole new bunch of comments about you funding your vacations and toys with everybody's hard earned money....though, there is something to be said about the idea of you being in a grass skirt, and having an umbrella drink in your hand, to really set the mood, lol).

Can't help but wonder how many people clicked on Having trouble accessing the BOI?, in the above
Harald,

I'm having trouble accessing your Having trouble accessing the BOI? link.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #176
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
I encourage you to try the "paid-only" route, if for no other reason than to keep the BOI around as long as possible. Even if most people stop posting there, at least it will be available for people to view for a longer period of time, which will help potential buyers/sellers. In the end, as you said, if it doesn't work, then the end result is still the same, and you're off the hook. But it would give people a chance to change their ways and realize what a huge asset the BOI is to the community. (I don't think they will--I think they'll just whine. But even my little inner cynic says to give them a chance.)

Then again, the big downside to trying this is the massive flood of e-mails from people whining about having to pay, asking why they can't access BOI threads, asking why the BOI might suddenly be going away, whining that Rich is just a money-grubber, whining about how unfair it is, etc.
Hmm, you must have gone back and read those old threads concerning the time I actually did put a paid membership requirement for the BOI. Because that's exactly what happened. I think the argument was something to the effect that I owed it to everyone to keep the BOI free and available.

That being said, I guess that if I do decide to just close down the BOI, people will be wanting to track me down and hang me. After all, they will most certainly blame me for it's demise.

Well, I've got a little over a month to think about this. I just recently sold off all the rest of my animals, so by January 1, I will officially be in retirement.

I've had more people opting for the paid memberships (THANK YOU!), so it is helping to tilt the odds in favor of just keeping the BOI as is. Haven't had a single person use that DONATE button since I moved it from the top of the page, though. And my idea of having a method for members to directly support the BOI with a banner advertising section right at the top of the BOI flopped mightily. I guess when everyone else is celebrating on New Year's Eve, I'll be deciding what to do the following day.

Seriously guys, I really don't want to shut down the BOI, but you can't imagine the grief, stress, and headaches it has given me over the years. I have a special folder in my mail program just for "legal threats against FaunaClassifieds". If I wasn't just naturally hard headed and combative by nature, I would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. When someone threatens me, I just dig my heals in all the harder as NO one is forcibly going to take a damn thing from me. Tell me to delete some thread, OR ELSE, and I'll pick the OR ELSE, every time. The law is on MY side, bud.

But what will finally kill the BOI is if I become convinced that the majority of the people in this business really don't give a crap either way about it. That I am simply wasting my time putting up with all the crap I do fighting for everyone's privilege to tell the truth here about someone who raked them over the coals. That I am willing to put up with all those threats of a lawsuit that want to get that evidence swept into oblivion.

So yeah, if that really is the case, then I wouldn't really be quitting, I would just be agreeing with them.... After all, what do I really need the BOI for any longer? The BOI is really for all of YOU now. You just need to show me my efforts haven't been all for nothing in the end.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #177
hhmoore
Quote:
Haven't had a single person use that DONATE button since I moved it from the top of the page, though.
I actually thought it was gone...until I went searching for it the other day, so I could give the link to somebody. (There really is truth to that old adage, "Out of sight, out of mind")

Old 11-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #178
WebSlave
Quote:
I actually thought it was gone...until I went searching for it the other day, so I could give the link to somebody. (There really is truth to that old adage, "Out of sight, out of mind")
Honestly, I had most of the people who donated that way then want me to convert the donation to a membership. Of course, that is all a manual process that I have to do, and it just got old. So I figured it just made a lot more sense to put the link to the paid membership page there instead.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #179
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
But what will finally kill the BOI is if I become convinced that the majority of the people in this business really don't give a crap either way about it. That I am simply wasting my time putting up with all the crap I do fighting for everyone's privilege to tell the truth here about someone who raked them over the coals. That I am willing to put up with all those threats of a lawsuit that want to get that evidence swept into oblivion.
Rich... I dont really think this is the case. Its not that they dont care... its that unfortunately (for the BOI) the paid membership isnt real high on the priority list right now.

Let me explain what I mean and I will use myself as an example.

Im just a small time breeder with big dreams... and I can only assume that there are many more just like me. Earlier this year I bought a decent collection of snakes from you (which are all doing great BTW) in order to help build my breeding stock for the years to come. I am in the process of trying to figure out the logistics, financing, and timetable to getting my collection out of the house and into a true reptile breeding facility. I am constantly trying to figure out where to advertise (get the most bang for my buck), track my site stats, and draw more folks to my site and hopefully my "for sale" pages.

And all the while I am the one working my collection and the business plus a normal real job. Its getting to the point that I can finally bring in some money from sales which is a good thing because my current collection.... and the possible addition of payments on a building will really put a strain on my normal paycheck which is currently supporting this whole crazy addiction I have.

I know $25 doesnt seem like much... .and in of itself... it really isnt. But when you factor that into the grand scheme of things it makes a difference. Everyone that has made this into a business has been exactly where I am right now... and what I am experiencing is nothing new.

Please dont think we dont care.... because I for one do. I think the BOI is a valuable tool. Its just that between food bills (because I grew my snake collection significally faster than my rodent collection), new animal purchases for future breeders, supplies for the biz to keep it moving, advertising, planning to get a dedicated building, etc.... the funds are tough to come by.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #180
hhmoore
This isn't anything personal, and isn't intended as a shot at you....but, when one puts an expense off, even if it is deemed important, there will always be new important bills that get in the way. We ARE only talking about $25...I don't think there are too many people here that can look at their expenses since they became a member (or, in the past year, in the case of long timers) and honestly say they just couldn't have afforded the membership. Some people don't want to contribute - that's their choice, and I have no problem with them saying just that. But I do have a hard time accepting the statement that I would, but I just don't have the money from people that have spent several hundred to several thousand dollars on animals. It's just numbers, but they don't add up

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!