About the BOI and it's future here... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #31
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
And in a like vein, so will all the BOI forums on this site, which includes the Canadian version.
Has anybody told them that? I don't get the impression that the Canadian group ventures out to the rest of the site all that much. Might get a few more contributing memberships, if they knew?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
Lucille
I don't go to a whole lot of other reptile sites, but at least on that I peek in on has an area that allows people to recount their positive and negative experiences with vendors.

No other site that I am aware of is as extensive or as organized as the BOI in providing prospective buyers and sellers with a way to research prior to a transaction.

I'm just curious though as to how other sites shield themselves from a potentially crippling suit? Or are they counting on luck, or do they cave and remove posts when push comes to shove? I don't know, but maybe the answers might be relevant to the situation here.

Anyone know how other sites are coping with the liability issue?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #33
ChamLvr
Wow. Im sorry to hear this. I have always come and checked the BOI before purchasing ever since I found out about Fauna in January. It has saved me a lot of heartache and $$. I think someone was right in saying, put a price on each time you have been saved and say Thank you ( not a direct quote obviously).. I couldn't imagine the stress this must bring on you from the constant worry about dumb@sses and their ignorance. There is always going to be somebody who doesnt like you.. Hell, the majority of women in the world think Brad Pitt is a Godsend.. Me, NOPE. Im for Jim Carrey. I don't even know how to become a member or what the paid membership entails. I dont think I even realized there was the ability to be paid and I apologize for my ignorance. I feel like Ive been taking advantage of you (tell your wife Im sorry. LOL)... Regardless of your decision, I want to say a personal heartfelt thank you for what you have done for the reptile community in giving them the chance to expose scumbags, meet great people, and add awesome critters to our families.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #34
singingtothewheat
Maybe it's time for the B.O.I. to fade away

Old 07-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #35
MikeCurtin
With all due respect, if you had ever used the BOI for its intended purpose, you would have a different view on things...the BOI has saved many hobbyists countless dollars and headache.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #36
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingtothewheat View Post
Maybe it's time for the B.O.I. to fade away
That could very well be true. And if so, then I'm ok with that happening. I've done all I can, and want, to do with it. The ball is in everyone else's court now and it's the losing point at stake. Personally, I feel pretty confident that FaunaClassifieds can survive without the BOI any longer. Traffic will take a hit, but it's survived those before for one reason or another.

We're getting a new or renewed paid membership every day or two now. Extrapolating the likely results come January first, I seriously doubt we will hit the target membership (at least 600). I may very well lock down the BOI to paid members sooner rather than later. Just haven't had time to put much thought into it because of higher priorities right now. I'm sure it's GOING to happen, I just need to figure out HOW to best do it to cause the least amount of hate mail. I am certainly not looking forward to the inevitable emails from people who lose access and just think they got banned or something is broken here. Most people just don't take the time to search for and read notices around here... Maybe I'll just do it before Expo, since I don't read emails when I am away anyway...

Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #37
DeeRa
My question is your asking for more members to contribute if they do and on Jan 1st you close down sections or limit use because it wasn't enough people. Will there be any reimbursement for those people that tried to help but no longer wish to be with the site as it has changed? What kind of promise/guarantee can you offer the new members that join up between now and then and what kind of reassurance are you offering to the people who are already members?? Just trying to make my decision on what I want to do.....

Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #38
Royal Morphz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeRa View Post
My question is your asking for more members to contribute if they do and on Jan 1st you close down sections or limit use because it wasn't enough people. Will there be any reimbursement for those people that tried to help but no longer wish to be with the site as it has changed? What kind of promise/guarantee can you offer the new members that join up between now and then and what kind of reassurance are you offering to the people who are already members?? Just trying to make my decision on what I want to do.....
Deidra have you ever saved money from a classified add here whether it be as a seller or a buyer?
See I paid my subscription mainly for the money I had saved from doing my research on the BOI, but I have also saved a tone by posting free for sale/trade ads here. Think of the money you saved and see if it is worth it to contribute.
Even if Rich closes down the BOI then he will still need contributors to help run the site in his retirement. You are not paying for just the BOI but for the site in large and well I think the small parts I use outside of the BOI are well worth 25 bucks. So I will continue to contribute long after the BOI is gone if it does go away.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #39
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeRa View Post
Sorry, but the only guarantee I am offering is that if the membership does not want to financially support the BOI based on the concerns I have already aired, then I GUARANTEE that it will not be here much longer.

If anyone feels this is unfair, that I have not done enough as it is to support the BOI with my own headaches and out of my own pocket for years, before this site even had the capability of accepting contributions, regardless of the fact that I have faced down MANY threats of lawsuits because of what someone else has posted on this site, well I am OK with that. I can certainly live without those headaches and those threats in my life. At this point, I have more to gain then I have to lose with the BOI going away if that financial support isn't forthcoming.

So is this site making money now? Yes it is. Is it enough to pay for a SERIOUS lawsuit? Hardly..... And I have NO intention of allowing what someone else wants to say on this site drag me into court to drain my retirement savings. I've seen others taking swipes at me (yet again) saying that I should run this site strictly AT COST, meaning I guess server and hosting costs. I'm sure that when they apply for a job somewhere, they figure out their costs to drive to and from work and those few expenses associated with actually DOING the job and ask for that amount of compensation only from their prospective employer..... I sure wish I lived in the world that those people live in.... Even completely disregarding the potential expense of a lawsuit, really, just how much are your efforts and time worth?

Anyway, sorry if this is a repeat to some people, but apparently it is necessary for some others.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
Mooing Tricycle
Dee, your Guarantee would that the BOI remains in use for EVERYONE. Isnt that enough???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!