Georgia Wholesaler, Sun Pet, under attack of PETA - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
kmarsh
Georgia Wholesaler, Sun Pet, under attack of PETA

Click here: PETA Complaint and Video Spark Investigation - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Not sure if that puts the lin up but its the source I found for what has been brought to my attention. I had no idea that Sun Pet of Atlanta, GA was under attack by PETA but seems they have been infiltrated with one of their moles and tried to take them down. Sunpet is a great place to buy from and is about the only source of live animals in the Georgia area. I have been there many times back when I had a pet shop in Macon and purchased animals from them. Great place and well kept. There is no pleasing peta (which we all know why) Their complaint was rabbits kept on wire with no bedding for their soft feet. Helllloooo have you ever been scratched by those "soft feet". IF they are kept on wire thats bad, if you put them on bedding they are laying in their own feces???? Hello how then are you to keep them... Ohh thats right we aren't along with any animals for pets, or for food or anything else that peta decides.. Ok check it out...

Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
kmarsh
PETA Complaint and Video Spark Investigation
Read Comments (6)Recommend (2)Print Email Article Larger Smaller

Posted By - Jerry Carnes

Last Updated On: 4/22/2010 7:40:39 PM

ATLANTA -- Inspectors with the Georgia Department of Agriculture descended on a S.W. Atlanta business after receiving allegations of cruelty from the animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

About a dozen inspectors spent the day at Sun Pet Ltd., a distributor of animals to pet stores across the country.

PETA contacted the state with claims of cruelty and videotape shot by a PETA representative who got a job working at Sun Pet.

"I've seen what PETA's done in the past where they take things out of context, make big deals out of things," said Barry Wisebram, Sun Pet's Vice President of Sales. "I think it takes away from real problems when you cry wolf."

The undercover PETA representative worked at Sun Pet for three months, shooting video that is now posted on the group's Web site. PETA says the worker observed "disturbing conditions," such as employees treating animals roughly, some animals kept in severely crowded, filthy conditions, and evidence that pet stores returned sick, injured, and even dead animals to Sun Pet.

State inspectors involved in Thursday's raid did cite the company for some cages described as rusty and unstable.

"We did not find animals suffering at the facility today," said Venessa Sims-Green of the Georgia Department of Agriculture.

"Our history with Sun Pet has been a positive relationship. They do a lot of testing here at this facility. They tend to go over and beyond what our requirements are."

But the investigation isn't over. PETA claims they've given authorities video of a Sun Pet employee placing hamsters in a bag, then slamming the animals against a table.

PETA claims the Fulton County District Attorney's office asked them not to make the video public. A spokesperson for D.A. Paul Howard would not confirm that they are part of the investigation.

The Department of Agriculture acknowledged they have viewed the videotape and that it is part of the investigation, but would make no further comment.

Sun Pet's Vice President of Sales says he hasn't seen that video, but says if the allegation proves true, he won't stop at firing the employee responsible.

"I'll participate in any way to make sure they're prosecuted," says Barry Wisebram. "I'll cooperate 100 percent. That's not tolerated."

Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
brd7666
The link isn't working.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
kmarsh
I copied the article above in its entirety from
http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story...storyid=143187

Maybe that will link it. I am still learning how to do that. Just so mad cant think when it comes to this kind of junk. People better wake up suppliers, farmers cant keep fighting this kind of junk and stay in business. Peta's idea is to wear everyone down and then they win.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
kmarsh
http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story. aspx?storyid=143187

Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarsh View Post
I copied the article above in its entirety from

Maybe that will link it. I am still learning how to do that. Just so mad cant think when it comes to this kind of junk. People better wake up suppliers, farmers cant keep fighting this kind of junk and stay in business. Peta's idea is to wear everyone down and then they win.
It's a shame organizations like PETA exist. All they are is a bunch of trouble makers, and terrorists.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
kmarsh

Sorry trying hard to get this link up here I hope this works this time

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
georgia, peta attack, sunpet