Constrictor Rule Comment Open - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #21
AbsoluteApril
Thanks for the heads up, I'm terrified to see what happens tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake-Queen View Post
Also, BCIs have been reclassified as boa imperator,
When did this happen? I hadn't seen anything about that.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #22
Arachno
Seriously? Time to really step up your game, USARK.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:57 AM   #23
bcr229
Quote:
Are you aware how long it takes to produce dumerils? I do … 9 months. However, if this does come to fruition, my dum babies will go up in price.
Dums, rainbow boas, Papuan pythons, Olive pythons...

Quote:
Also, BCIs have been reclassified as boa imperator, which may be a way around the "law".
From the discussions I've been seeing in the boa groups this has been in the works for a while but isn't a done deal... yet. I prefer to work more with the pure locality lines, which will be a PITA if BCI are added to the list as I think I'm the only one in my state doing so. That makes for a tiny gene pool.

Quote:
I am on Dumeril's Boas Lovers.
Ditto.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz4246 View Post
Yea but you can tell the author is pro ban, so I'm not sure how true the "facts" are.
They have corrected their reporting, which means the leaker said you got it wrong. AKA we are listing some but not all.
Also interesting that the Ashe-hole (Director of FWS) did not publish today, prior to the announcement.
My gut is saying boas will remain exempt. I am hopeful on retics.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #25
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
When did this happen? I hadn't seen anything about that.
A few months ago I believe, Warren Booth mentioned it in a posting on FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
From the discussions I've been seeing in the boa groups this has been in the works for a while but isn't a done deal... yet. I prefer to work more with the pure locality lines, which will be a PITA if BCI are added to the list as I think I'm the only one in my state doing so. That makes for a tiny gene pool.
From my understanding, all BCIs are now BI ... including locality based lines, ie Hog Island, Costa Rican, Sonoran, Nicaraguan, etc.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #26
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
A few months ago I believe, Warren Booth mentioned it in a posting on FB.
I'm not on FB, is there something else out there about this? Everything I see still lists as BCi. Personally I don't see why they would merit the reclassification but I'm no expert of course. lol

I wonder how long before we hear what is being announced today. Still keeping fingers crossed they leave it as is and don't add anymore species.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #27
HerpVenue
should have been announced already.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #28
AbsoluteApril
okay here we go, looks like all but boas WERE added

http://www.fws.gov/verobeach/InvasiveSpecies.html
March 6, 2015

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) today declared the reticulated python, DeSchauensee’s anaconda, green anaconda and Beni anaconda as “injurious” under the Lacey Act. A fifth snake, the boa constrictor, is removed from consideration for listing as an injurious wildlife species.

The listing will prohibit import of the four snakes into the United States and its territories, as well as transport across state lines for snakes already in the country, and is intended to help restrict the snakes’ spread in the wild. Following opportunities for public comment, an economic analysis and an environmental assessment, the Service produced the final rule, which is expected to publish in the Federal Register March 10. The prohibitions in the rule will go into effect 30 days after publication and apply to live individuals, gametes, viable eggs or hybrids of the four snakes.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #29
HerpVenue
4 of 5 added
Boas are safe for now.

I guess this year I make baby boas instead of feeders nakes. SMFH

Still does not make sense. They are already outlawed in Florida. Why outlaw from the rest of the states.

Edited to say:
April beat me to it

Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #30
HerpVenue
So unfortunate.
i have friends heavily invested in the other species. Hopefully the lawsuit can reverse the damage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!