GTP or ETB - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #1
DCEM
GTP or ETB

I'm looking to get my fist arboreal snake and both are beautiful. I can read all day. But hearing from those who have one or the other or in some cases both would be great! Currently have 2 BP and a boa. Looking to expand. Help me decide. It will be my first arboreal but not my last

Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
_Eric_
You should get the one that you like the most.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
yeloowtang
for your first arboreal and if you have no experience at all with them..
in order of how easy they are to care for i would reccomend
1-ATB amazon tree boa
2-GTP green tree python
3-ETB

ATB being a little more aggresive than the other two, is more tolorent of mistakes you can make regarding heat and humidity. Not all of them are have bad attitudes, i have some that are more relax than a ball python.
but these snakes come in a variety of colours and humidity/heat is not the ned of the world if not perfect..this snake is more of a 50/50 arboreal, it likes to spend day time in a hide on the ground then when nights comes, they are all over the cage exploring and hunting. verry active snake at night.

GTP again, some a relax and easy to handle , others not so much. GTP's are less forgiving if the temps and humidity is not right, they will shed badly and can get RI's easier. temps are cooler too, 86 deg hot spot is what you want with a gradiant of about 78 lower in the cage for the snake to thermo regulate. humidity should not drop bellow 50% at least not for long if it does, spraying the cage to get it up near 90% so it can drop down to 50% every day is best..making sure you have some ventilation all while keeping it humid in the cage.. and humid doesn't mean soaking wet, a wet cage is prone to bacteria that will in turn cause sickness.
feeding is also not the same, you never feed a bigger prey than the widdest part of it's body, doing so can casue prolapses.. many feed GTP's on a mice only diet for life. I say that and i also feed rats, but feed them smaller less often..

ETB's are my favorite but they are by far more delicate, WAAYYYY less forgiven of bad husbandry, they will not give you many chances if things arent's right, they can get sick easier, stop eating easier, shed badly easier,get infections easier. they key is keeping the humidity above 60% while having go higher with good ventilation..

food for them, is best to be on a rat diet with the same size rule as GTP's but you need to feed them less often, once every 7-10 days for babies 10-14 days sub adults and 2-3 weeks adults, also after feeding 3 meals, wait for defecation and start over again..they love fresh water, all 3 do but ETB's seem to know when the water is fresh..

the secret is the cage with these.. if you plan on using an exo terra, make surre it';s modified to have the top covered. a screen top with heat lamps will not work, even if many do it this way, in the long run !!!! it's not the best.
best is to close off the top and use a heat panel controled with a herstat of some kind.
opening the cage daily will give you ventilation, keeping it open a short whil is always good whuile you spray, clean and change the water.

PVC cages are the best for these snakes and worth the expense if you can spare it..

have many diferent perches and leaf cover, you will notice that they tend to like smaller perches too..

i'm sure i'm missing some info, but that's the biggest part of it regarding these 3 snakes..

Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
PythonMan89
Humidifier question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloowtang View Post
for your first arboreal and if you have no experience at all with them..
in order of how easy they are to care for i would reccomend
1-ATB amazon tree boa
2-GTP green tree python
3-ETB

the secret is the cage with these.. if you plan on using an exo terra, make surre it';s modified to have the top covered. a screen top with heat lamps will not work, even if many do it this way, in the long run !!!! it's not the best.
best is to close off the top and use a heat panel controled with a herstat of some kind.
opening the cage daily will give you ventilation, keeping it open a short whil is always good whuile you spray, clean and change the water.

PVC cages are the best for these snakes and worth the expense if you can spare it..

have many diferent perches and leaf cover, you will notice that they tend to like smaller perches too..

i'm sure i'm missing some info, but that's the biggest part of it regarding these 3 snakes..
Would you recommend investing in a humidifier or just spraying the enclosure every day? Where I am now is naturally around the 40-50% mark humidity wise, I'd assume that would make it a little difficult to maintain a steady 80-90% humidity level. Also, do you want it to remain steadily humid, or more humid during the day and less so at night? I know some thermostats now come with the option of regulating humidity, so was curious.

As a side note, would you happen to know any owners of GTPs in the Virginia area? I'm looking into trying to get some experience with handling/interacting with these animals under my belt and work more closely with them in the near future so I can learn more about them in person. Great info! Thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!