Need help filling some tanks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:22 AM   #1
mnyablonski
Need help filling some tanks

I have an empty 20 gallon, 10 gallon and 5 gallon that I am needing help to fill. I am mainly interested in amphibians but if anyone can think of any really cool lizards that could fit in the 20 gallon I would defiantly be interested. Just so everyone knows I do have years of reptile experience so it doesn't need to be a beginner level animal. I also currently have a Frilled Dragon, Chameleon and Fire Belly Toads so if possible something more unique (like the frilled) and different that what I have.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
snowgyre
Miranda, thanks for posting this. I also have a similar need for ideas. I have an empty 10 gallon that was set up for darts, but it just gets too warm in my house during the summer to support them. If anybody has ideas for diurnal, active, interesting small amphibians or lizards I'd love to have some ideas.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
Magic
Either of you ladies ever gone underwater?

I'm currently watching a really fat African Clawed frog in a ten gallon sing the song of his peoples to me. Not uncommon at all, but a super fun interactive squirt. Total clown. Diurnal charmer, nocturnal soprano

Then there's axolotls. They're cool. Vanessa, you might have issues with them getting warm, though, if you don't have a/c. Mine don't like warmth. They're not in a heated tank. But boy are they fun and active too!

Other options: 1 pixie frog would work great in a 10 gallon. A smaller tomato frog! Those aren't as active though.

Hmmm...,maybe we'll get some more ideas pouring in!!

Old 07-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Either of you ladies ever gone underwater?
I don't know about you gals, but, personally...I try and keep my hair dry. It's very time consuming to dry. Sorry, I am just trying to be funny. Please don't be offended.

Quote:
I'm currently watching a really fat African Clawed frog in a ten gallon sing the song of his peoples to me. Not uncommon at all, but a super fun interactive squirt. Total clown. Diurnal charmer, nocturnal soprano
That is very very true. While, Xenopus laevis, is indeed a common species, it is very endearing when kept in captivity. I have only had one male specimen and he was truly a diurnal charmer and nocturnal soprano. They are truly an amazing species and highly underrated, in my humble opinion. Another options is Hymenchirus boettgeri . If you wanted a larger aquatic amphibian, then, you could see about acquiring a Pipa pipa.

Quote:
Then there's axolotls. you might have issues with them getting warm, though, if you don't have a/c. Mine don't like warmth. They're not in a heated tank. But boy are they fun and active too!
That is another fantastic suggestion. While, I do NOT own that species, I completely agree that they make fascinating aquatic captives! Given my experience with them. I too, like the Axolotls, hate the heat and need A/C.

Quote:
Other options: 1 pixie frog would work great in a 10 gallon. A smaller tomato frog! Those aren't as active though.
As you can see, from my screen name/user handle, I love the genus Dyscophus. My "favorite" amphibian of "all time" is a Pyxicephalus adspersus. So, I would agree either species is great.

Quote:
Hmmm...,maybe we'll get some more ideas pouring in!!
Is the OP interested in a terrestrial or aquatic species? Are they looking for terrestrial or arboreal suggestions? What genus(s) are they interested in?

Unless, of course, Magic, really wants idea's pouring in, I need some parameters.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:22 AM   #5
mnyablonski
I am not really wanting to do fully aquatic at this time. When I am able to expand to bigger and better enclosures I defiantly have animals on my list that are fully aquatic. Terrestrial or arboreal is fine.

I have been looking for a Pixie Frog for quite some time and have been having a hard time finding one anywhere around me or from a breeder online. Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
I don't know about you gals, but, personally...I try and keep my hair dry.
It's all fun and games until we're breaking out the hair dryer.

Quote:
Another options is Hymenchirus boettgeri . If you wanted a larger aquatic amphibian, then, you could see about acquiring a Pipa pipa.
Pipa pipaare sure energy efficient. All that energy they expend not moving and pretending they're dead
H. boettgeriare cute. If I didn't have such rough fish, I'd toss some in my aquariums. Those little shovel noses.
I'm a big fan of Lepidobatrachus laevis but havent owned one for several years.

Quote:
As you can see, from my screen name/user handle, I love the genus Dyscophus. My "favorite" amphibian of "all time" is a Pyxicephalus adspersus.
Do you keep yours in show tanks, racks, or something else?? I'd love to see your setups. I always worried about providing enough varied food for my adults, and the best environment for them. Some really enjoyed solitude of closed racks.
What are your feelings on color morphs??

Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnyablonski View Post
I am not really wanting to do fully aquatic at this time. When I am able to expand to bigger and better enclosures I defiantly have animals on my list that are fully aquatic.
Okay, thank you, very much for clearing that up.

Quote:
Terrestrial or arboreal is fine.
Are you looking for only Anura suggestions? Or, are you also interested in Caudata, Pleurodelinae, and or Caecilians suggestions?

Quote:
I have been looking for a Pixie Frog for quite some time and have been having a hard time finding one anywhere around me
I don't know of any in your geographic location, I am sorry.

Quote:
or from a breeder online.
Are you looking for breeders only? Or, are you willing to work with a reptile specialty store?

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Yes, I might have some. Do you want me to post them on this thread or Private Message you on this site?

Quote:
It's all fun and games until we're breaking out the hair dryer.
, want me to post picture's of my PINK hair dryer?

Quote:
Pipa pipaare sure energy efficient. All that energy they expend not moving and pretending they're dead
That is so so so true!!! Have you had a Pipa pipa?

Quote:
[i]H. boettgeriare cute. If I didn't have such rough fish, I'd toss some in my aquariums. Those little shovel noses.
I understand. You could just set up a five (5) gallon tank for some specimens. , I am just saying.

Quote:
[II'm a big fan of Lepidobatrachus laevis but havent owned one for several years.
I adore that species too. Sadly, I can't find a breeder. Or, else, I would own them. Trust me on that note!!

Quote:
Do you keep yours in show tanks, racks, or something else??
I am assuming you mean my Pyxicephalus adspersus. If so, then, the answer is I keep them in tanks.

Quote:
I'd love to see your setups.
I can most definitely do that for you one day this week. Just let me know what species you are interested in seeing.

Quote:
I always worried about providing enough varied food for my adults, and the best environment for them.
I can understand the above, very very well, trust me. However, I am pretty sure you are providing a very good/varied diet. Plus, I am sure, you provide a fantastic environment for your specimens.

Quote:
Some really enjoyed solitude of closed racks.
That can be true. I have found raising a specimen, that is fairly small, under your "preferred conditions" can be very very helpful.

Quote:
What are your feelings on color morphs??
In general and or a specific species?

If either of you need me to rephrase any of my convoluted post, I would be glad.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
Magic
I totally hate hijacking a thread!

But I think I need someone to start a new thread with photos of some pixie tanks and some breeding plans/goals of theirs laid out.

*hint hint* cough. Dyscophus. cough.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #9
mnyablonski
Are you looking for breeders only? Or, are you willing to work with a reptile specialty store?

I am willing to work with stores as well.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
I totally hate hijacking a thread!
No worries, at all. I will make that into its own thread. I will also ask Micheal Brown and Jawsofafrog, to add the valuable input they have.

Quote:
But I think I need someone to start a new thread with photos of some pixie tanks
I can definitely do that for you no later then this weekend.

Quote:
and some breeding plans/goals of theirs laid out.
I can help you with that too. I am sure Jawsofafrog can as well. Michael Brown, actually, bred the species in question. So, he can help you with the "practical realities" of breeding this particular species.

Quote:
*hint hint*
I can take a hint, I am just a little slow...okay a lot slow...

Quote:
cough. Dyscophus. cough.
Am I giving you an "allergy attach" or have I given you a human URI? I have told I can give/harbor both.

Quote:
I am willing to work with stores as well.
The best store, in my humble opinion, would be the The Jungle in Florida. I would also recommend searching the Amphibian section of this forum. In that section, you will see someone with the screen name/user name/user handle named Snared99. People have dealt with this person and many are very satisfied. I will also include this Google Search for captive bred Pixie frogs for sale:https://www.google.com/#q=captive+br...frogs+for+sale You will note, that some of the sellers/websites are on this forum.

As always, if, my convoluted posts need any clarification, please, don't hesitate to ask me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!