Wicker basket hides? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
piebald320
Wicker basket hides?

Hello, I was wondering if anybody here has ever used a wicker basket as a reptile hide? Or if anybody could think of any potential safety concerns with the idea? I am getting a super dwarf retic and I want something that is safe and looks natural without breaking the bank. Any other suggestions are more than welcome too, Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
Helenthereef
I have thought of this in the past but always decided against it because of difficulty cleaning. If urates get into plaited wicker I just don't see how to get them out.... If you have an idea for that I'd love to hear it!

Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
suskie1992
A wicker basket would be kool for a hide! Cleaning I could see it be more difficult then a plastic hide (obviously) but I don't think it will be too difficult (some 409/water spray and some warm water).

For the SAFTY concerns though I do have two ideas. 1. If there are slits (spaces) the snake can get through it could get itself stuck and possibly cause lacerations or broken bones....or just get stuck till you show up ^^ 2. If there is any coating or paint on the basket but I don't see this as being a big deal but still a concern.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
piebald320
Quote:
Originally Posted by suskie1992 View Post
A wicker basket would be kool for a hide! Cleaning I could see it be more difficult then a plastic hide (obviously) but I don't think it will be too difficult (some 409/water spray and some warm water).

For the SAFTY concerns though I do have two ideas. 1. If there are slits (spaces) the snake can get through it could get itself stuck and possibly cause lacerations or broken bones....or just get stuck till you show up ^^ 2. If there is any coating or paint on the basket but I don't see this as being a big deal but still a concern.

Hope this helps!
I actually ended up finding this nice wicker-style basket that is actually plastic but still looks naturalish. The gaps are much too tiny for my girl to get stuck and she loves it! This isn't the exact one but it's something like this.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:48 AM   #5
piebald320
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Sterilite-Cor...saAk2dEALw_wcB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
hides, retic reticulated python