Putting the Cricket Before the Lizard - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
dewdleblep
Putting the Cricket Before the Lizard

Hiya! I think I am very clever when I think of titles for posts~!

I currently do not have any animals (saving up for an AFT or two in the future) and was wondering if it would be silly to start setting up a breeding system for their feeding before purchase. I figured that if I decided to start breeding crickets / mealworms / or dubias it should be before I have an animal that way they have plenty of food and should I have excess I could always sell them locally (though profit really isn't the bottom line of this).

I dunno, has anyone else done this?

I have watched a lot of videos on raising feed and it seems fairly uncomplicated with the right tools and maintenance.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 AM   #2
bcr229
I would breed and feed dubias over crickets any day.
- They don't stink.
- They don't make noise.
- They don't have mass die-offs due to disease.
- They can't jump and are easily confined.
- For the same length "bug" they have more protein and less chitin.
- They don't chew on gecko toes.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
CricketChitin
Not sure it’d be worth it for personal use. You might just end up with more feeders than you need. And a majority of them wouldn’t be the right size for which ever pet yoh decide to get.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!