Ball Python Site...Rant - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
Miss Tuniwha
[quote=GoingPostal;1170507 It's a breeder and seller market, it's interesting to think about how many bps must be out there, but go ask how many people have a 5 year old snake and you hear crickets. [/QUOTE]

I only recently started breeding a couple years back..

I still have my first snake, Dameon.. who is now 19 years old.. and I have had her for 11 of those years..

All of my snakes were babies when I got them other then just a few.. so most any snake of mine that is an adult.. has been with me their entire time..

even have a 22 year old boa, who has been with me for 12 years..

SOME people don't just look at these animals as money.. some actually do it because they like them.. Not everyone sees them as "items" etc. etc..

Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
MDC_Ophiuchus
Yeah, my first snake was a BP. I got him in 1993 and still have him.

But I likely would never buy another one.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
Well, I stand corrected (not calling you an idiot or anything!).

But it still holds true to the argument that most get into BPs for money. Once more, nothing wrong with that, but your own case indicates the risk involved as well.
But here is where I can truely say I was in it for the snake. Yes I would love to recoup my investment on a $1000 snake... and someday I will. But I haven't been power feeding to get him up to size... and I have never bred him. I fell in love with the albino Balls back in 1992 ish when they were over 30 grand. I didn't figure I would ever have one. In 2007 I made the leap and spent alot more for a snake than I ever thought I would... and I dont regret it one bit. Matter of fact his is the primary snake in my business logo. He sits atop the ridge in my watermarks.

If I had to get out... I would keep him and one amel corn that I produced.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
Focal
Just a few reasons of mine, some may apply to other snakes but not all.

* There are tons of morphs and from them you can get double morphs, triples, quad... The possibilities are almost endless and there is such a great chance in making something original. Imagine having your name on a morph?

* I like not being struck at everytime I reach for them. Yes, I've been struck at by BPs but they usually seem to grow out of it. I've never had so much trust with BPs.

* They are great examples for converting nay-sayers. There are so many people that come over that have never touched a snake. I would hand them no other and turn my back to it. I've only had a couple snakes that worried me and a ball was not one.

* There is a great market for them. I hate sitting on a snake for months.

* turn around time on a hatching to breeder isn't that long. A female can breed in less than 2.5 years and you can throw back a male to his mom to prove something out in less than a year.

* even at their largest I think they are very manageable. I can breed my own rats quickly, don't have to pay out for rabbits or mess with mice pinkies. They don't need much space and enclosures are easy, cheap, plentiful for the do-it-yourselfer.

* I have a young child and I think BPs are the largest I can comfortably go. I don't wanna fall into the "big snakes are dangerous" group but I would feel safer about him getting into a BP cage than a retic or anaconda.

I can keep going into details but I'm on my cell. I don't feel these are any of the answers you are looking for but I think the phrase "to each their own" should give you a good start.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
WebSlave
Actually, I think it is a healthy thing that so many people express such varied interests and tastes in what they like. Could you imagine what it would have been like at the first reptile show ever if everyone liked the exact same thing? The "show" would have consisted of nothing but a single table selling the animal that everyone loves. There would just be a long line in front of that table as the seller simply plopped one pair of animals after another into a bag for the next customer in line, until he or she ran out of them. Then the show would have been over with.

Of course, three years later, that same show would have as many tables as there were customers buying pairs that first show, ALL displayed the very same animals for sale. And, of course, the only way a seller could differentiate their offering from everyone else would be via price. So it would quickly go downhill from there.

Fortunately, people started off having varied interests, and many would change their interest in other types of animals on a regular basis. Some maybe even on a monthly basis. Heck, I had people change their minds several times from the time they placed their order till it was being packed to be shipped just a few days later. But truth be known, that is the churning necessary to keep this business alive. People selling out because they lost interest will sell to someone else just getting IN to that interest. And the people selling out taking that money to put into their NEW interest.

Personally, I never had an interest in ball pythons myself. I had a few when I was younger, but just didn't like them much and found them boring. But I liked cornsnakes above everything else, so what the heck did I know?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #26
R. Eventide
I don't think dogs or cats are anything special...and most certainly not worth those crazy pet pageants/contests and the like. I also don't think much of corn snakes. Or rodents. Or low-level humanities courses. Or Frat/Sorority folks. Or pro sports. Or opera singers. Or Facebook. The list goes on.

Does that mean there's something inherently wrong with them? Does that mean they're "low" and that anyone who likes them is similarly "low"? Does that mean everyone else has the same opinion--or worse, should?

Of course not! As Rich said above, everyone has different opinions; the world would be a boring place if that weren't the case.

However, I cannot say the attitude displayed about said opinion was at all necessary. You don't like ball pythons and don't understand how anyone else could like them either. And...your point is...?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #27
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Actually, I think it is a healthy thing that so many people express such varied interests and tastes in what they like. Could you imagine what it would have been like at the first reptile show ever if everyone liked the exact same thing? The "show" would have consisted of nothing but a single table selling the animal that everyone loves. There would just be a long line in front of that table as the seller simply plopped one pair of animals after another into a bag for the next customer in line, until he or she ran out of them. Then the show would have been over with.

Of course, three years later, that same show would have as many tables as there were customers buying pairs that first show, ALL displayed the very same animals for sale. And, of course, the only way a seller could differentiate their offering from everyone else would be via price. So it would quickly go downhill from there.

Fortunately, people started off having varied interests, and many would change their interest in other types of animals on a regular basis. Some maybe even on a monthly basis. Heck, I had people change their minds several times from the time they placed their order till it was being packed to be shipped just a few days later. But truth be known, that is the churning necessary to keep this business alive. People selling out because they lost interest will sell to someone else just getting IN to that interest. And the people selling out taking that money to put into their NEW interest.

Personally, I never had an interest in ball pythons myself. I had a few when I was younger, but just didn't like them much and found them boring. But I liked cornsnakes above everything else, so what the heck did I know?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #28
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
I don't think dogs or cats are anything special...and most certainly not worth those crazy pet pageants/contests and the like. I also don't think much of corn snakes. Or rodents. Or low-level humanities courses. Or Frat/Sorority folks. Or pro sports. Or opera singers. Or Facebook. The list goes on.

Does that mean there's something inherently wrong with them? Does that mean they're "low" and that anyone who likes them is similarly "low"? Does that mean everyone else has the same opinion--or worse, should?

Of course not! As Rich said above, everyone has different opinions; the world would be a boring place if that weren't the case.

However, I cannot say the attitude displayed about said opinion was at all necessary. You don't like ball pythons and don't understand how anyone else could like them either. And...your point is...?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #29
ed hummel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
I don't want to aggravate anyone, or cause trouble

Usually when someone says that its the foremost thing on their mind.
but i think im gonna anyway...

you dont like em its not like its that tough to avoid the sections they are in

Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #30
Amelanistic Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed hummel View Post
but i think im gonna anyway...

you dont like em its not like its that tough to avoid the sections they are in
Lol.. Ain't that the truth!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!