It is the citrus season! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 01-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Still only 41 degrees here at 1:15pm.

Supposed to drop down to around 23 degrees tonight, and pretty much the same for this entire week.
I wish it were sweater weather here also!

Hope everything survives!

Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #12
WebSlave
Heck, there was a time when I thought that 40 degrees was downright balmy. But we just got back from covering as much of the citrus as we could, and I swear I was feeling like I was getting frostbite on my thumbs right through my gloves. I guess living in Florida for 26 years changes your cold tolerance significantly.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
WebSlave
BTW, one interesting way I have discovered to determine that a cold night is heading our way is that spiders will start dropping out of the trees to get close to the ground. Somehow they know... At times in the past it looked surreal with all these spider lines glinting in the exterior lights off of the building late at night.

And yes, I saw some this evening while Connie and I were covering plants.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #14
JColt
Yeah if you pay attention, Nature will tell you a lot of things. Well 9 degrees right now and work called. No heat downstairs. Since I slept 2 hours I guess I'll head in 6 hours early.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
WebSlave
So last night we had some good news in that the temps didn't get as low as they were predicting. The bad news part, however, is that we got freezing rain and sleet, so the tarps on the citrus trees had slush on them when we uncovered some of them. When I got up early there was actually some white crud on the ground in spots. WAY too close to being actual snow for my tastes!

Some of the bigger citrus we couldn't cover are not looking happy at all, and I guess we are going to have a lot of leaf loss on those trees. Hopefully none will get killed outright.

I am seriously not happy with 2018 so far. The weather has been pretty crappy and the rest of this first week of 2018 isn't looking like it is going to get any better.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #16
JColt
It's so cold in Florida, iguanas are falling from trees

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/it...gVa?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 01-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #17
bcr229
So the store had oranges on sale today and right next to the display was a bunch of pomelos for sale, so I picked one up.

Looked like a large grapefruit on the outside. It was bigger than a grapefruit by maybe another inch or so in diameter. It was nowhere near as big as the ones you grew.

Inside... well it kind of resembled the one from your plants in that the fleshy part was pink, but holy heck the rind was THICK on it. Maybe that's just because it's a variety that's shipped? There was actually less edible in it than in a typical grapefruit, which was disappointing because it tasted really good, just not three times the cost of a pink grapefruit good.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #18
WebSlave
Just like the oranges and tangerines, there are a LOT of different types of pomelos, evidently. The skin on Connie's are relatively thin, in relation to the size. I'll have to try to remember to take a pic when she opens up the next one. She just opened up another one, and it takes her quite a while to eat it. The individual sections of these things are larger than the entire tangerines that I eat while she is eating her pomelo.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #19
Helenthereef
I have NEVER seen pomelos that size!!! As Melinda says, the ones we get occasionally are like pink grapefruits with really thick rinds. Yours are just spectacular - I'm salivating (We don't get much in the way of grapefruits here, so it's a real treat).

We do have kumquats, and have found the ideal use for these little things - slice in half and freeze. Fabulous in gin & tonics. We have new trees growing up outside the window from which we eject the used ones, so they are our (pre-marinated) G&T trees.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #20
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Just like the oranges and tangerines, there are a LOT of different types of pomelos, evidently. The skin on Connie's are relatively thin, in relation to the size. I'll have to try to remember to take a pic when she opens up the next one. She just opened up another one, and it takes her quite a while to eat it.
Holy carp, I can see why!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!