Cypress mulch? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Melle
Cypress mulch?

Hi,

I just bought a huge bag of this stuff for my baby monitor. Can I use it for my hog island boa as well? i can't seem to find many places that mention it as a boa substrate, anyone have any opinions? Thanks

Old 06-28-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
gmherps
Just use it in moderation and everything should be fine.
Ingestion may be the only problem.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:11 AM   #3
Melle
Thanks for the reply I feed him in a seperate sterlilte tub, so ingesting wouldnt be a problem. Does it tend to harbor mites? or if i just change it regularly i wont have a problem?

Old 06-29-2004, 12:15 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
I've been using cypress mulch for all my boas and pythons for years and it's my substrate of choice for those species.
It's economical, holds humidity when needed, and looks good.

I feed all my animals in their enclosure, it's just not practical to try to move them all to feed, and to date have never had a problem with ingestion.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #5
Melle
Thanks, Clay. Glad to know it has been tried and true. I really do love the way it looks as well. and its so cheap!

and, i've only got the one snake so its no big deal takin him out to feed him

Old 12-28-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
jglass38
I use it for my BRB and love it. Only downside is in a black AP cage, I cant it is pitch black. Good for the snake, bad for finding the 'presents'

Old 12-28-2004, 10:45 PM   #7
ms_terese
I love cypress mulch. It's cheap, it looks great, it's outstanding for maintaining humidity. We've never had a problem with it, and I much prefer it over aspen shavings.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:37 AM   #8
magick-bears
Where does everyone get their cypress mulch from? Also does anyone know if it is suitable for Colubrids?

Thanks,
Jeff C.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
I get it from Lowes or Home Depot, btu as I understand it cypress is nearly impossible to get on the west coast.
Pro Exotics stated selling the large bags for that reason, but they are in CO so shipping might make it impractical for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!