Help as soon as possible is my snake sick?? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Helenthereef
Shannon, to be honest it does not sounds as though you have her in the best conditions for her. If you are going to keep her you are going to have to find her a better set up, or she's not going to do well.

Obviously you realise she is not doing OK, and it's good that you are asking for help, but from what I'm hearing, there's no way she's going to be OK with the tank and heating you have. Are you able to get something else?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
neocatlove
wow thanks for saying that is such a caring way
but yes i am possibly able to get something new for her and i found the heating i have for her is ruining her humidity i have no clue what i can use to heat but also not destroy humidity

Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
Helenthereef
Well, I am no expert on Ball Pythons in particular, but it sounds as though the biggest problem is that you have an open wire top, which means that the heat lamp will dry out the moisture, making it difficult for you to keep the humidity stable.

Utta made a good suggestion:
"The best thing, is to honestly get rid of your glass tank. "standard" is to put them in shoe box tubs(sterilite 1753, and the like), in a rack, but you can still put her in a shoe box on top of a heat strip(flexwatt, etc) and make sure temps/humidity are still ok."

I know that I prefer to be able to see my snakes, so I like glass sided tanks better than tubs, but maybe you could put her into a tub for a while and get her healthy and eating, while you look for a better glass sided set up that will not let the humidity out?

All of us here care about the snake's health, but we've also all been new keepers, and I think all the advice given to you so far has been in that spirit.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
neocatlove
well this tank was really expensive and my parents would kill me if i got another one but i am planning on getting her a tub for when she is shedding so she can be very wet to better shed but what i really need is a heating bulb that doesn't destroy humidity and i am going to try tinfoil on top because i have heard that apparently it doesn't heat up as much as i thought it did but i am having a hard time finding such a bulb because they keep labeling them as bulbs for desert environments

Old 11-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #15
Helenthereef
Maybe it's possible to just get a new top for the tank? (The Ball Python people can probably be of more help on that than I can).

Also, in future if you think she is having problems shedding because of low humidity, (or now if you think she still has bits of skin stuck to her) you can try bathing her a few days after she has gone cloudy and then clear again - just put an inch or so of luke warm water in a small tub and let her sit in it for a bit, with a rock or a branch to rub against.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
neocatlove
thanks! yeah i would love a new top just not sure how? but yeah i gave her a bath and it helped loads for getting the rest of the shed off

Old 11-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #17
mrawesomeman24
One thing that can help screen lids with keeping in humidity would be to put some plastic wrap over all or most of it. I have seen people cover the whole thing, but I usually only do about 80% myself. It will also help to get a hygrometer if you don't have one already.

Another option at your disposal is to make a humid hide with a tupperware to put in the enclosure. Cut a hole in the side she can enter through, toss in some sphagnum moss (available at most pet stores), and mist it every few days. Other mosses would work, too. That way, she will have the option to enter her humid spot when she is in shed or feels she needs some moisture.

Another thing that helped my girl out when I had her in a tank was to use a nice big water bowl she can submerge in. I use a ceramic dog bowl, usually filled about halfway.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #18
neocatlove
thanks! this was actually quite helpful i do have a hygrometer! and yeah it works just great but i don't know if i can do plastic wrap it might melt? or heat up plastic and then release toxins because my lamp is sitting on top of my tank

Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #19
Helenthereef
Why not post a picture of your tank? it would help people give more specific suggestions.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #20
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by neocatlove View Post
she doesn't use the heating pad for reasons unknown but it doesn't get very warm at all
i put my hand up to it and it is about as warm as when you sit down on a chair for a while and then get up and it did come with a thermostat
Usually those starter kits from the big box pet stores come with a thermometer to measure temperature. A thermostat plugs into the wall, your heating pad plugs into the thermostat, and the thermostat probe gets sandwiched between the heating pad and the bottom of the tank. Double-check which you have.

For a single ball python this tub is great and your snake won't outgrow it. It's also under $20.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hefty-100-Q...g-Lid/50150118
Add a large under-tank heat pad on a thermostat, substrate, hides, and a water bowl, and you're done. No need to purchase new lights because the old bulbs burned out, or misters to increase humidity.

Then you can either sell the tank you have, or put a different snake in it that doesn't require a lot of humidity.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, illness