Wish me luck! RI - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2006, 03:06 AM   #21
shrap
Under normal circumstances 55-60 is where I keep my humidity.

When dealing with an RI I have heard two schools of thought from breeders and Vets alike. One being to lower the humidity to help dry them out and the other being to keep the humidity higher to make it easier for the snakes to get the crap out of their lungs.

There are still so many things where we are still guessing when it comes to keeping herps.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:28 AM   #22
KelliH
Dang, that stinks Shanti. I don't really think nighttime drop of 75 would have given him an RI, but I guess it's possible. On the humidity issue, rather than spraying the entire enclosure and then worrying about the humidity, a simple solution is to keep a humid hide in with him, like we do with our leopard geckos. Good luck. I'm sure the little guy will be fine.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #23
Whitewater Reptiles
When your Vet. does a culture, that will determine wether you raise or lower the humidity, depends on what type of infection you're dealing with. Personally I think the animal was sick to begin with and is now in better hands. Hope all goes well.
Mike Derks

Old 01-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #24
A_Kendergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Dang, that stinks Shanti. I don't really think nighttime drop of 75 would have given him an RI, but I guess it's possible. On the humidity issue, rather than spraying the entire enclosure and then worrying about the humidity, a simple solution is to keep a humid hide in with him, like we do with our leopard geckos. Good luck. I'm sure the little guy will be fine.
You're most likey right about that. I plan on talking for awhile with the vet to see what changes I should be making. Just a little longer... (they open at Noon).

It's so blasted dry in the house, 30% on a good day, that I'm sure I may need to mist anyway. I got a humidifier for the room, but it's incredibly noisy so I need to get one that won't be so loud. I've got an elaborate system right now just to get the humidity to 60%...the misting bumps it up a bit higher for a little while. If I can get away with just a humidity hide, that would be much easier.

He does seem to be appreciating the heat. His breathing is a little less labored today.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #25
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Reptiles
When your Vet. does a culture, that will determine wether you raise or lower the humidity, depends on what type of infection you're dealing with......
Thanks, makes sense. Fortunately in almost two decades of keeping herps I have only had to deal with one RI.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #26
A_Kendergirl
I wasn't able to get in today. They were totally booked. However, I have an appointment for tomorrow at 10am. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back from the vet.

For now, I've found with the humidifier the humidity stays very stable at 60% (I'm doing a few other things as well). He looks a bit better, but still blowing bubbles every now and then. Hopefully having the stable conditions will go aways to making him feel better. I'm not touching the heat or humidity! The only thing on a timer now is the light.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #27
Skunky
Ahh, that's terrible!! Very stressful for you I'm sure! All will be fine in the end, I'm sure

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!