Rice Flour Larvae? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #1
Junkyard
Rice Flour Larvae?

Does anyone use Rice Flour Larvae? I have been looking into getting a culture as they are extremely small, they seem to be a good size for hatchling chameleons. What do you think?

Old 03-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
Digby Rigby
Exclamation Rice Flour beetles

They are actually a pest species that have spread around the world. As they can eat a lot of things even dried grains and such. It is hard to keep them totally contained and many people who culture a variety of insects have found that they also have gotten into other insect cultures and thrived. They can be a very good feeder though. If you are looking for small feeders some good ones are White micro isopods they get maybe 8mm or so, flightless house flies, springtails among others as well as bean or pea aphids, which unlike other aphids do not make sticky secretions nor infest plants. they only eat bean or pea plants and breed very rapidly and are soft bodied and easy to culture. If you were to tell me what you want to feed I can help you to choose suitable insects and such to culture.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com
http://exoticfeeders.com

The key to happiness: insect sized rodents andd rodent sized insects

Old 03-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Junkyard
I have baby chameleons just about 1 month old, so I am looking at a variety of different types of feeders t give them a good range of foos. I have a fruit fly culture rotation I am working on now that seems to be doing okay. It is 5 cultures, eached marked as too the last time used, so the rotation is working well. I did get some rice flour beetles and I am hoping they will like eating them, though needing a dry enviroment I have to use a dry cage spot for the chameleons. I use crickets also, thus the chameleons have at least three different types of feeders to choose from.

I would greatly appreciated and welcome any ideas you have.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Digby Rigby
Exclamation Micro feeders

Ther are several small feeders you can use. Rice flour larva need dryer environments to live and breed but is meaningless when feeding them. Tey wont be around in the chameleon cages long enough for the high humidity to make a difference, after all you are not raising and breeding them in the chameleon cages. Other suitable small feeders are micro isopods they get maybe 8mm, black springtails huge monsters that also get around 8mm which is large for a springtail! Various roach nymphs, baby silkworms,baby pygmy mice (are as long a a pencil eraser when born) among other things. For further info go to http://exoticfeeders.com that forum specializes in feeders and feeder issues and superior alternatives to crix and mealies as well as alternative vertebrate prey and other invertebrate prey items.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com
http://exoticfeeders.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!