Status check - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Auction Offerings > Auction Feedback Forum

Notices

Auction Feedback Forum I figure I need a place to discuss whether this auction section is working or not.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #31
hhmoore
That makes more sense to me than setting a reserve, and starting the bidding at some ridiculously low price.
Ifyou want to talk about auction practices that don't make sense - how about the people that post their stuff for sale for weeks, then post it as an auction... using their sale price (that didn't work) as the starting point.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
Belfry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkeymonkey357 View Post
i like the idea but im a little confused by the auctions that say no reserve then start the auction price themselves why not just say its reserved oh well its trivial i know just pointing it out but all in all i like it gives me a chance to pursue my dreams as a breeder some day
A reserve is a minimum price that the seller sets before the auction. It is the least amount the seller is willing to accept. The seller usually keeps that price secret unless the reserve is met during that auction. If the auction ends and the final bid doesn't meet that reserve price, the seller doesn't have to sell what they auctioned.

Let's say the seller decides his reserve is $50 and starts the auction at $20. If the bidding ends at $40, he can say the reserve was not met and refuse to sell it. If the bids hit $50 or over, he will say "the reserve has been met" and it will go to the highest bidder.

It has nothing to do with setting a starting price. That's why those auctions are not labeled as a reserve auction.

I agree with Harald. I don't know why some of these people think those practices would work. As annoying as it is, luckily we are not obligated to bid or hand them our money.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
Belfry
I forgot to add that it's called reserve as in the seller "reserves the right to accept or reject the highest bid."

Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
hhmoore
I think the idea of a reserve price is fine...but, when it isn't preset, users are stuck with whether the seller decides to sell at the end price or not. If I was considering bidding in an auction, I'd be more inclined to do so with a no reserve auction that had a (higher) preset starting point.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
Belfry
Definitely. What it comes down to is buyers want to find a bargain and sellers want to protect their investments. Having a reserve auction can be a benefit for some. But it's important for sellers to factor in that they may draw fewer bids because of the uncertainty and inconvenience.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #36
WebSlave
OK. That is that, I guess. Any doubt in anyone's mind that this auction idea here is a complete bust?
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #37
RulingReptiles
I still think the auction forum should be removed and things be put back the way they were. Most don't even look at it. As far as I know there no way to publisize it on the regular sales forums to advertise that there is an auction going on. I'm way to scared to even try and post a ball on the auction forum because I'm to afraid the only people that are going to fined it are the lowest paying people ever. And most serious buyers are only looking at the main sales forums. At first I thought this was just a way to shrink the posting traffic on the regular classified forums but it's been a long time in the making and still not catching on.

Better way to shrink the posting amounts so people stay on the front page a bit longer is to make sellers post multiple animales on one add instead of individual adds. Some sellers post snake after snake after snake taking up an entire page of listings then bump there adds everyday ruining the odds of others ever being seen.

Don't mean to be a pain but I still don't like the auction forum and want to post my auction on the regular sales forums like I started a few years ago.

Just my little opinion August

Old 12-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #38
hhmoore
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the intent of the auction section was to reduce postings in other areas. It was started because some people wanted to post auctions; and there are too many issues with running them via PM. It was separated from the regular classifieds because that was necessary allow posted bids.
As was stated at the time, better auction formats would have been considered IF there was enough interest shown in that feature. That interest wasn't shown.

As far as your worries about low bidders - one can't advertise without encountering them. If you want to hold an auction without worrying about selling to low, you've got to set a reasonable starting bid.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!