What's the deal with this auction and reptile ring - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Auction Offerings > Auction Feedback Forum

Notices

Auction Feedback Forum I figure I need a place to discuss whether this auction section is working or not.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Helen Lampinen
What's the deal with this auction and reptile ring

Why is it that this auction seems to suck so bad but when you look at reptile ring there is always somebody bidding? I thought reptile ring was for everybody, but apparently only Mike Wilbanks and a few of his buddies?? Can this auction place be set up a little more prominently? I would personally auction some of my animals at killer prices but I don't think anyone would even notice since nobody visits the auction section. Can auctions be announced at a permanent location at the top of the snake forum? It doesn't seem fair that reptile ring gets all the traffic when there are so many beautiful animals here belonging to smaller breeders who take excellent care of their animals and deserve a good auction site to post their animals with more traffic. Anybody with me?
  Contact User Check User
Old 05-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
hhmoore
We had a platform that was better suited to auctions, and it was never used. The current version was opened at the request of members as a test - no sense wasting money on a dedicated auction platform if people weren't going to use it. The traffic and usage has been underwhelming.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
Helen Lampinen
Can it be fixed?

Could some advertising be done elsewhere on the site and can we have dedicated announced auction days, like Saturday at 11:00? We could have a sign up discussion area or something where people promise to auction something good and we get a group of people and their animals together for a specific auction time/date to try and generate more traffic. I pledge my 700 gram calico pewter, starting bid $250 if we can get a bunch of people to pledge their animals too and if we can get some advertising in a more prominent location.
  Contact User Check User
Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
hhmoore
Your ideas have some merit...but there's a lot going on right now, and I suspect that development of this idea would have to be tabled for at least a month.
Also, posting available animals and prices in a discussion area is against the rules. I understand that you aren't trying to sell in this thread, but it could still be perceived as a form of advertising. Please keep that in mind as you promote your ideas.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Helen Lampinen
Definetly not trying to advertise her for sale!!

Her price is WAY above that! This would be a good will gesture on my part to help every small time breeder on this site. That is a big 3 gene female!!! And super awesome genes to boot. Also, the combination is wise. Cinnamon with calico is a GREAT idea. Anyone who thinks that I am trying to sell this animal at that rediculously low price is not too bright? More like charity and good will!!!
  Contact User Check User
Old 05-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
hhmoore
You totally missed that point....makes me regret spending the time on the PM I just sent.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
snowgyre
I honestly don't think auctions will work well here. With the Facebook auctions already so prominent, it'll be difficult to generate the same amount of traffic given Fauna's current (and justifiable) limitations regarding auctions.

It's a good idea that has been tried off an on since I've joined (over a decade now), but it just never took off.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Helen Lampinen
Facebook auctions?

Are they just for specific breeders? I feel like everybody deserves a chance.
  Contact User Check User
Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
Helen Lampinen
Sorry for the misunderstanding

Im sorry for the misunderstandings. I didn't mean any hard feelings....friends?
  Contact User Check User
Old 05-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
snowgyre
No, the Facebook auctions are for anybody with a Facebook account who joins the page. It's been a bit controversial. They took off big time last year, and market prices were driven down by dang near 50% on most ball pythons. Some folks blame the market price drop on the auctions, others on overproduction, the reality is that it's probably a mixture of both.

Other forums have even gone to such lengths as to prohibit any sellers who participate in online auctions from being able to advertise animals on free classifieds sections.

There is some justifiable bitterness as well regarding the auctions. Dan Wolfe retired last year and auctioned off all of his animals. Some of his unique projects (arroyo/rio, quake, black lace, nova, etc.) were still listed as several thousand dollars on his website but sold for a tenth of market value on the auctions. Folks who invested in those projects early (and paid full price) were understandably angry. I don't really hold it against Dan given that he was retiring, but it certainly was bad timing given the controversy surrounding auctions was at its peak while he was doing so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!