african mole snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-22-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
bigjay
african mole snakes

only found one thread about them from 2 years ago, anyone working with these awsome snakes, they seem like a live bearing pituophis to me, very cool and i want to get ahold of a few. even any more info or pics of them would be awsome. do they still import them? are there numbers strong in the wild?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Ophidiophile
Moles

I've kept Moles off and on for about 10 years. Your characterization of them as a live bearing Pituophis is pretty much on-target. They are great snakes though some can be pretty fiesty. But I've also had completely docile ones. They go through an amazing color and pattern change as they grow which is fun to watch. I'm partial to the jet black ones but the reds, browns and tawnys are nice too. Babies are tiny and can be tough starters -- scenting with lizards especially skinks and geckos (no luck with anoles) works well. Recently there have been a bunch available for sale. They seem to come and go. Overall, great snakes.

Here's a neonate male:

Here's the same male 2 years later:

Old 07-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
aliceinwl
Neat snakes! What kind of sizes do they reach? What is the pattern of inheritance for the different colors? I'd love to see pics of the different color morphs if you have them.

-Alice

Old 07-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
bigjay
wow, great pics, that large male is very interesting, the build suggests pituophis while the scalation looks very drymarchon. im officially on the hunt, i believe ive found a great source of them if i hold on for a few months. if their temperment quirks can be worked around i believe they could develope a following. a large docile pseudaspis would be an outstanding display animal.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
I believe, Ken Harbart was working with them as well. I don't know if he still is. I will p.m. him and see if he has some pictures and insight to contribute here.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Tim Cole
I too

have been looking for these for a couple years.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
Ophidiophile
Another Pic

This is a young (cb '06) female that I'm currently raising up.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Ophidiophile
Yet Another

And here's a tawny female that used to be in my collection but sold a few years back:

Old 07-24-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Great pictures, David!

Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #10
aaron sullivan
i know i am a week out on the last post, but i just recently purchased some from donald at mfezi.com. they are wild caught adults, but he also has yearlings and babies.

i got them in, set them up and fed them that night. three ate right off the bat! i am very happy with them as i have been wanting some for about 8 years or so.

aaron sullivan
nashville, tn

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!