For my Candoia breeders/keepers... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
EPICRATES
Looking good Cindy! Candoia are so underappreciated.

Jay

Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Bioteacher
Forgot to ask... Helen, since you live in the fiji Islands... have you ever come across any albino Candoia?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioteacher View Post
Forgot to ask... Helen, since you live in the fiji Islands... have you ever come across any albino Candoia?
No albino, but colour ranges in the wild from brown/pink (commonest), silver/grey, orange/brown, yellow, green and most spectacular, solid black with scarlet belly.

Also different patterns from different islands; some photos on my blog if you want to scroll around a bit........ here's a selection of some to hand right now.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
Helenthereef
Quote:

Helen - I don't know much about the C. b. bibroni as I don't think they are ever imported into the US. I've never seen one for sale or heard of anyone owning one. I know they tend to get a lot bigger though but yours seems to sound like it is of good breeding weight and age - I'd say you should separate them for a few weeks and then reintroduce them again with some heavy misting. It might induce some breeding.
Thanks, I keep them in natural temp/humidity and have been told (and have observed) that they mate at the end of our colder/stormy season, generally July-ish, so I'll have a try then.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
HyderHouseHerps
Spectacular photos Helen! They are So beautiful!!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyderHouseHerps View Post
Spectacular photos Helen! They are So beautiful!!
Thanks! Also addictive........... I'm having a hard time resisting having one of every colour...........

Also I find them very even tempered and a great easy to handle pet (even straight out of the tree!) ; Are C paulsoni equally docile?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Helenthereef
While I'm on the subject, the snakes from Fiji's Taveuni Island have markings more similar to the Solomon Boas than the other Fiji Boas, and I think are VERY closely related, (Fiji Boas are Candoia bibroni bibroni while Solomons Boas are Candoia bibroni australis - different as a subspecies, not as a species).

Therefore I think their growth rate/breeding size would be very similar, and I'd be very surprised if they would not interbreed.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Bioteacher
Very cool Helen! Thanks for posting photos here as well as on your site - I've checked it out several times before looking at the C. b. bibroni.

From what I've found, C. paulsoni are pretty docile. I've been bit before, but it usually is only if I'm retraining their heads for a particular photo or as a test to see what I am. I've never been bit from defensive posture.

I also wouldn't be too surprised if they have interbred. They are very similar in appearance aside from their close taxonomical relation.

Out of curiosity, if I found someone with an import permit, would you consider selling me some? I'd love to be able to keep a few here in the US.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
Helenthereef
Quote:

Out of curiosity, if I found someone with an import permit, would you consider selling me some? I'd love to be able to keep a few here in the US.
I'm not sure I could (or actually want to) export wild caught - as endemics they are CITES controlled, and it would be a LONG shipping experience for them.

But if I get any more captive born babies we can talk. See what you can find out about import permits and PM me.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
HyderHouseHerps
From my experience, the Solomons are handleable, however my tasmai is evil!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!