A penny for your thoughts - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
osborne118
A penny for your thoughts

What are your thoughts of a dusky pigmy being the first venomous of someone? I've owned many pythons but this was my first. Wild caught at a school near by.
Attachment 122273

Attachment 122274

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
hhmoore
First thought is that I suspect you don't have a license to keep it.
Second is that wc babies aren't always easy to get feeding in captivity, but I see from your other post that it wasn't an issue.
Third is that I really liked dusky pygmies when I kept them.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
osborne118
I don't have one yet but working on getting one. It wasn't a baby she was about 15" in that picture. It was the day I caught her. Guessing it was a female by size and girth.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
TailsWithScales
Pygmies are the best. They really are. Just make sure you have proper venomous handling tools! They may be small but they still pack a punch if you're bit! Size and girth are NO indication of sex in any snake. Probing is the only way to know for sure which isn't suggested at all unless you plan to breed.

A better substrate such as dirt or sand can be used for your pygmy. You can also add little logs and such. They love that kind of stuff. Hooks though! Cannot stress that enough. If you don't have some mini hooks get some! Very cute! Love it!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
osborne118
I know all of that. This picture was taken the day i caught the snake. Female snakes are generally larger than males and this specimen is gargantuant for this area of florida.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
osborne118
Forgot to mension that walnut shell was all i had on hand at the time. Didn't want to use the sand from around my house as it was recently treated for fleas and i didn't want any chance of poisoning of any sort.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by osborne118 View Post
...i didn't want any chance of poisoning...
Then why did you get a venomous snake?

When you get everything set up, be sure to post some more pics.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
osborne118
Unhappy

I didn't want any poisoning of the snake from possible ingestion of the sand from it getting in the water or feeding. I no longer have the snake. I had everything for the proper setup and i decided to clean the tank. I removed the snake and put it into a holding container. My cat got into the room and knocked over the tub letting the snake out while i was outside hosing the aquarium. The cat managed to (somehow without getting bit) rip part of the intestines out and left it's cloaca hanging by the snakes skin. I knew the snake wouldn't live so i had to kill the snake before it suffered.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!