Looking for a good herp Vet. in Delaware County PA. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
clemmboaden
Looking for a good herp Vet. in Delaware County PA.

Can anyone recommend a good herp. Vet. in the suburban Phila., PA or tri-state area? My collection consists of a fairly large number boas, ball pythons, and aquatic turtles. I am looking for a Vet. to establish a "breeder to Vet. relationship" with. None of my animals are ill at the moment. I have tried a few of the Vets. in my area in the past with less than satisfactory results. I am expecting a number of offspring this year, and feel the need to have a good Vet. at hand. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dennis.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemmboaden
Can anyone recommend a good herp. Vet. in the suburban Phila., PA or tri-state area? My collection consists of a fairly large number boas, ball pythons, and aquatic turtles. I am looking for a Vet. to establish a "breeder to Vet. relationship" with. None of my animals are ill at the moment. I have tried a few of the Vets. in my area in the past with less than satisfactory results. I am expecting a number of offspring this year, and feel the need to have a good Vet. at hand. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dennis.
Try this website Herp Vet

Old 04-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Bill Rodriquez
Thumbs up Excellant Herp Vet !!

Dennis,
I am not sure where Delaware Co. Pa. is, but if happens to be in the Williamsport area, there is a EXCELLANT Reptile Vet. in that area. He is a personal friend of mine, and I have used him for many years when he used to practice closer to where I currently reside. His name is Dr. Steven Winton, his business is located at 1828 East 3rd. street Williamsport, Pa. 17701. You can reach him by phone at this # 1-570-323-9431. He is Very, Very knowledgable in all reptiles,both venomous, and non-venomous. Like I said I don't know if this will of any help to you or not, Just thought I would let you know. Good Luck.

Thanks
Bill Rodriquez

Old 04-09-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
clemmboaden
Personal experience.

I wish to thank both of you gentlemen for your replies. Mr. Leverton, I used that very same web site just this past fall. I found a listed Vet. who is located 15 min. from me. I had just received a female spotted turtle from another gentleman in FL. I noticed immediatly that she had an RI. The gentleman claimed she was healthy when he shipped her. We discussed returning her, but agreed that if shipping her once had really stressed her enough to cause the illness, shipping her twice would only be worse. So, I tried the local Vet. I had done my own research, and wanted the animal to be given a shot of Baytril or someother antibiotic. They agreed that the turtle had an RI, but disagreed about the shot. They claimed that Baytril had been used too much in the past and feared a resistance to it. They also did not like the fact that it is painful to the animal. I could not argue with the logic of this, it seemed to make sence. The treatment they did prescribe was oral treatment with cephalexan. If you can imagine trying to coax an already stressed and infected 4 in. turtle to stick her head out so I could restrain her by the neck, pry her beak open and force a syringe of medication down her throat followed by another syringe of food supplement twice a day, you can imagine my dissatisfaction. I was to do this for 14 days. On day 3 they gave me a follow-up call. I told them my animal was getting worse and had lost over 20 grams in weight. They had me come in again. I still wanted her given a shot, the short term pain seemed to outweigh long term torture to me. They still refused and wanted to continue oral treatments. They gave her 1 treatment in my presence. It took three of them nearly 30 min. to do it. I complained. They still said this was the best treatment, but agreed to have another Vet. in their office look at her. Two days later the now third Vet. could see her. By now the only time the turtle would stick her head out, which she could barely hold up, was to gasp for air. When the new Vet. said she still wanted to continue oral treatment, I flipped out. I said, if my money was paying for the animals treatment I wanted it given a shot. They finaly gave her a shot of Baytril, sub-Q fluids and vitamins. Two days later that turtle was eating guppies in her tank. I managed to obtain some Baytril myself, and administered two more treatments at home. That turtle is now a happy member of my group. This was $157.00 of treatment on a $300.00 turtle. I hope to produce some higher end animals this year (boa and ball morphs), and don't want to pay anymore good money for bad treatment. I must add that the gentleman in FL did refund me the $157.00. I apologize for the long story, but my point is, I have tried a name on a list. I was hoping for a responce from someone who had first hand experience with a specific Vet. that they could recommend. Mr Rodriquez, Dr. Winton sounds great, but by mapquest he is 2 hrs. and 57 min. (176 mi.) away from me. I will drive that far if I have too, but would like to find someone closer. Again I apologize for the rant, and thank you for your replies. Dennis Poole Sr.
P.S. The Vet. that I spoke of is no longer on the list, go figure!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!