i have 2 questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
spike6942
i have 2 questions

can a bearded dragon and a horned mountain lizard aka horny toad live together.i was just wondering becuz we have a large cage and we wanted to see if they would be friends.

another question is that why isnt my horny toad not eating im getting him a bigger cage today and wen i gave him harvester ants he just let them walk all over him.. is he just getting used to them.

also he is a baby he is about the size of a quarter..

plz help me

thx,
andrew

Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
rosebud945
It s best not to put two beardies together, much less mix species, especially two species that are so vastly different in size. The beardie would eventually eat the horned lizard. So no. Absolutely not okay to house a beardie and a horned lizard together.

On the horned lizard not eating, how do you have it set up?
Do you have a hot basking spot? What is the basking surface temp? What are you using to measure the basking surface?
Do you have a cool side? What is the temp at the cool end?
Are you using UVB?
Do you have plenty of hides in the tank, and most of the outside of the tank covered to reduce stress?
Are the ants too big for that baby?
Do you have it in a high traffic, noisy area?
Are you handling it?
Have you read a few care sheets?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
Ballpython17
no. dont house them together. just keep them seperated. and try feeding him crickets. make sure you dust them with vitamins/calcium dust

Old 07-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
spike6942
ok i wont put them together... and he has started to eat the harvester ants but he is just a baby and he seems to only really want 1 a day so is that good

Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
spike6942
im pretty experinced with reptiles so i no how to care for him but anyway he is a baby and he has started to eat the harvester ants but he seems to only want to eat one a day he just eats them then he burrows and goes to sleep. is this proper for him to do this iv had other lizards but never a horned mountian lizard baby. iv had an adult horned mountain lizard and he acted perfectly fine. but the baby seems to act differnt.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
rosebud945
Since you obviously won't discuss your husbandry with me, then you need to discuss it with someone who knows more than either of us about HLs or the baby will die. No, it is not good that the baby is only eating an ant a day, and it will die soon if you don't fix whatever is wrong with your set up or it.

Contact fireside3. He is a member here, or join this forum
http://www.phrynosoma.org/

Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
spike6942
im going to move him into a big tank once we move into our new house he has a hide away and i have a heat lamp and uv lamp. he loves to bask in the heat and the uv but wen i put a ant in he is either interested in it or he is afraid.
he loves to burrow himself into the ground and run around. but i want to feed him but he wont eat more than one ant. should i put like 5 or 6 into hes habitat???

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
rosebud945
You need to discuss his setup and care with an experienced person or group or he will die. He has already gone days without eating well, and I cannot stress how fast they go down hill and how just a small husbandry issue can kill these lizards. You cannot guess at their temps, you must make sure they are not stressed, and you cannot let them go days without eating well without doing something about it or they will die. They are not hardy in these ways like other lizards. PLEASE contact one or both of the contacts that I listed above.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
spike6942
i just did band i no how fragile he is but i want to no should i put in more ants and see if he will eat them

Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
rosebud945
I cannot answer that unless you answer the questions that I asked of you. If your husbandry is off, then no, he will not eat.

On the horned lizard not eating, how do you have it set up?
Do you have a hot basking spot? What is the basking surface temp? What are you using to measure the basking surface?
Do you have a cool side? What is the temp at the cool end?
What type UVB bulb are you using?
Do you have plenty of hides in the tank, and most of the outside of the tank covered to reduce stress?
Are the ants too big for that baby?
Do you have it in a high traffic, noisy area?
Are you handling it?
Have you read a few care sheets?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!