Holaspis guentheri - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Other Lizards

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:32 AM   #1
Puppylover794
Holaspis guentheri

Hello everyone!

I am new to owning lizards, I never have before but i began to take an interest once i came across the Holaspis guentheri.
However, I do have a few questions:

1) how many would do well together and be able to reach full size in a 10 gallon glas aquarium?
2) What's their maximum growth (how big do they get)?
3) What do they eat? Are there any alternatives to insects/live foods, if required?
4) How hard are they to maintain?

I would really appreciate any responses/helpful advice! Thanks so much!
Also, if anyone is selling, I am willing to pay + shipping if it is possible for you to ship to California

Thank You! =]
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
DeadIrishD
if you can acurately sex them I'd say about three 1 male and 2 females.
they are aboribial, and do glide a bit, although poorly so you may want a few trees.
they only get about 3.5 inches, from what I gather.
also I belive that they only eat insects so theres really no alternative for this.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Puppylover794
Thanks for the information!

However, I read on this one website that they can eat seeds regularly...

"Food: Primarily insectivorous. Meroles anchietae (formerly Aporosaura anchietae) is one of the few Wall lizards that regularly eats seeds, not an unlikely food for a lizard of the harsh Namib Desert."

this is the page I found it on: http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/~uetz/...acertidae.html
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
mphelps
Holaspis guentheri do not eat seeds

I have kept Holaspis guentheri, and they are among my favorite captive lizards. They are very active and fun to watch. They will also breed in captivity. I agree with the previous post that you can keep 1.2 in a 10 gallon aquarium.

But they are totally insectivorous and do not eat seeds. While Holaspis guentheri is a distant cousin of Meroles anchietae, they are not at all the same lizard. The website you quote refers specifically to a single species (Meroles anchietae) that is unusual in that it will supplement its diet with seeds (even it cannot and will not survive on only seeds). Holaspis guentheri is a very different lizard, and unlike Meroles anchietae is not a desert lizard. Holaspis guentheri should be set up in a woodland enclosure with consistent humidity (humid but not dank), and a basking area with a high temperature in the mid 80s. The rest of the enclosure can be a little cooler.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread