Ribbon Snake Help..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
Leahv1
Post Ribbon Snake Help.....

Hi I have 2 ribbon snakes and they mated 2 days ago. (2-1-04) and I was wondering how long it will take them to have there babies. and I was wondering how long after the babies are born do i wait to Hold the babies and get them use to people. Any suggestions will be appreciate.
Leah

Old 03-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
Shaky
About 2 months, in general. It depends on the species.
As far as ribbon snakes go, I haven't heard of many that actually calm down to be held. In general thay are nervous and flighty. However, it certainly could happen. I'd say it might take a good 6 months to calm one down to complete docility, mostly because baby snakes are all nervous and scared for a while.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:30 AM   #3
Leahv1
Thank-you

Thank-you for replieying. I really apperiated your help.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
crazywiccagirl2004
feeding baby ribbon snakes

I came across this thread and needed some help. I have no idea as of yet, how to use this web sight so I had to ask my question this way. How and what do you feed a baby ribbon snake? Me and my sister walked upstairs to our room looked at the cage and saw that our ribbon snakes had babies. We want to keep them but we have no clue how to take care of them, especially how and what to feed them. We have 15 baby snakes that may be starving. PLEASE HELP! I hope someone who can help me comes across this soon and replys. We dasperatly need it. Also when can the babies be separated from the mother and sold or given away.

Thanks much,
Robyn

Old 07-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
Shaky
OK, calm down, little Wiccan.
Ribbon snakes eat fish. Go to a local tropical fish shop and buy some feeder guppies.
PLace them in a fairly shallow water container and when the babies stumble across them, they will likely go for them.
Baby snakes don't necessarily need to eat for a few weeks, though.
You an sell them when they are eating regularly.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Hognose_311
Quote:
Baby snakes don't necessarily need to eat for a few weeks, though.
originally posted by: Shaky

Im not positive because ive never had a ribbon snake, but most snakes feed off of yolk sacks that they are born with until they adapt and are ready to start feeding.... Someone let me know if im wrong, dont try to turn it into an argument please....

Old 12-22-2004, 05:49 PM   #7
Lonermon
Post my babies

i had a ribbon snake drop 13 babies on me . it hasnt been easy keeping them all alive . i traded off a few babies and now six months later i am down to 5 left . some of them were too small even to eat feeder guppies , and some of them died for no apparent reason . but hte ones that i have left are all in good health . i feed them feeder guppies every week or two . i also discovered last week that they will eat small tree frogs . i have had a number of food types in with them as it is a communal cage with 4 ring neck snakes ,several geckos and a leopard geckos .so its possible that they have eaten meal worms or crickets as well , but i havent seen it happening . the biggest shock i have had is how slow they grow . 6 months old , well fed , and not much bigger than birth size

Old 12-26-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
aliceinwl
Lonermon, you may want to consider separating out some of your animals. I've got both garters and leos. Most of the garters/ribbons, and I'm sure your ringnecks are wild caught. They can harbor parasites that can be very nasty to species not adapted to cope with them. Leopard geckos tend to sample their environment a lot with their tongues and will pick these up. Unless you're very lucky you'll wind up with a sick leo, and a single vet visit can more than pay for a new set up. Not to mention the radically different care requirements leos have. I'd get him out of there asap before he picks something up.
-Alice

Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
ribbonsnake
my ribbon snake is eating EVERY DAY what do I do

Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #10
Shaky
Often Natricines and Thamnophids will gorge themselves.
Try feeding him larger or more numerous prey items.
If you simply don't offer food every day, it should be fine.
Another option is to lower temps by a few degrees.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!