Ribbon Snake Help..... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 PM   #11
aliceinwl
I wouldn't recommend lowering the temps since your snake still needs to be able to properly digest its food. I do, however, think rationing is fine. Try feeding larger meals offered at longer intervals.

-Alice

Old 06-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
ribbonsnake
all my ribbon will eat is fish he won't eat millworms or crickets

Old 06-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #13
aliceinwl
I've never heard of ribbons eating mealworms and crickets regularly. Many will, however, eat earthworms / night crawlers. Some can also be "tricked" into eating pinkies. You can scent pinkies by rubbing one with your snakes favorite food, in your case this would probably be fish.

-Alice

Old 06-11-2005, 01:44 PM   #14
ribbonsnake
I might try pinkies when he is older he is only 20 inches long i will try earthworms

Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
janettesuzy
I need some help! I have read everything all of you have posted. I have two baby ribbon snakes probably about five weeks old. I put some crickets in the terrarium, but I'm not sure they are them. I still see some moving around. I tried to feed them red worms cut up yesterday and they didn't seem interested. I know some of you suggest guppies, but they're two dollars a piece. They are too small for pinkies. A pinky is like six times the size of my baby snakes head. These snakes were born in captivity, and my daughter and I are really attached to them. Any advice on how to keep them alive would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Kiote_9
You need feeder guppies, not the "pet" guppies for sale in the display tanks. Here they are 10-20 for $1. They are very small, plain guppies. Places that sell reptile food and turtle food should have them.

Call around to the different local pet shops and make sure they understand you want feeders.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
michaelsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by janettesuzy View Post
I need some help! I have read everything all of you have posted. I have two baby ribbon snakes probably about five weeks old. I put some crickets in the terrarium, but I'm not sure they are them. I still see some moving around. I tried to feed them red worms cut up yesterday and they didn't seem interested. I know some of you suggest guppies, but they're two dollars a piece. They are too small for pinkies. A pinky is like six times the size of my baby snakes head. These snakes were born in captivity, and my daughter and I are really attached to them. Any advice on how to keep them alive would be greatly appreciated.
Ribbon snakes don't eat insects and really they're adapted to eating small frogs and fish they find at water's edge. I'd be surprised if they eat earthworms. The feeder guppy idea should work - particularly if you put them (1 or 2 at a time) into a shallow water dish so that the twitching and flopping of the fish will attract the snake's attention.

Additionally, I feed garters and other natricines in separate containers. I've had the experience more than once of having to separate baby snakes that both were trying to swallow the same prey item, and I think one of the snakes could get chewed up that way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!