whats a good snake - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #61
xXBlueLipsXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldBoid View Post
Yeah, the borneos usually stay a little smaller, a little over 5 ft average. They are very thick though.
it looks bigger lol then again cause there thick

Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #62
hhmoore
Your stated desires make it increasingly difficult to offer recommendations, lol. There just aren't many colorful, exotic looking snakes that reach the size you want.
blue beauty snakes (internet image)

red tailed green rat snakes have the color and size you want - but they (like ETBs and GTPs) have highly specialized care requirements. You said that you don't mind that; but not a lot of people have long term success with them.

carpets I've already suggested - but keep in mind that there are other colors/patterns than the ones I posted

bloods - I'll add a shot of one of my old reds (I prefer the look over Borneo's, personally)

They won't get the length you want; but they're big snakes for their size.

You could also consider Timor pythons; but there's a major commitment in terms of caging as they require roomy caging as juvies and adults.

If you want cool/exotic, Boelen's pythons become available for a brief period each summer. I don't know that the prices are down to your desired range yet, but they could be (I haven't looked at them in a few years)

Old 07-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #63
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Your stated desires make it increasingly difficult to offer recommendations, lol. There just aren't many colorful, exotic looking snakes that reach the size you want.
blue beauty snakes (internet image)

red tailed green rat snakes have the color and size you want - but they (like ETBs and GTPs) have highly specialized care requirements. You said that you don't mind that; but not a lot of people have long term success with them.

carpets I've already suggested - but keep in mind that there are other colors/patterns than the ones I posted

bloods - I'll add a shot of one of my old reds (I prefer the look over Borneo's, personally)

They won't get the length you want; but they're big snakes for their size.

You could also consider Timor pythons; but there's a major commitment in terms of caging as they require roomy caging as juvies and adults.

If you want cool/exotic, Boelen's pythons become available for a brief period each summer. I don't know that the prices are down to your desired range yet, but they could be (I haven't looked at them in a few years)
Carpets get about the size you want, the problem is there are a lot out there that turn into mud bombs as adults and it's getting harder to find real good trophy jungles. Red bloods can be a lot more intense, I have one in shed now who I cannot wait to see and they usually hit the 6ft range, 7 ft is possible but not really expected. I like my moluccan scrub python...looking for her a mate right now. It's very hard to find them CB though, counting me I have only met 3 other people with a planned project around them.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #64
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldBoid View Post
You can use certain tools if you really want too, you can also just make free standing perches out of PVC pipe or let the branch rest diagonally. Are you still thinking of the carpet? I started with a ball python and always recommend them to people at some point.

Given the desired features, a normal isn't likely to get a second look...but there are all sorts of color and pattern variations to consider.
(forgive the last pic - it's an older one, and he was a little dirty pre shed...I just didn't feel like taking new pics)

Attached Images

Old 07-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #65
SamBob
Wow what morph was the last picture??

Old 07-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #66
hhmoore
pastel lesser enchi

Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #67
Pmsayi
I've kept ETB's in the past and found they tolerate handling pretty well if you start out with juveniles. I currently have a female GTP I raised from a yearling. She doesn't bite when handled but it stresses her to the point of going off feed for up to two months. I don't handle her for the sake of handling her due to that. I saw someone recommend ATB's, I had a breeding colony of these about 10-12 years ago. They sort of tolerate handling. I found males to be more tolerant than females however neither will hesitate to strike (repeatedly at that). That said they never went off feed when handled.

I would second HHmores recommendation of a carpet or diamond python. There is quite a bit of variety within the different locales. My preferred carpets have always been jungles or jungle x diamond hybrids (I prefer higher diamond percentage). Bredl's and Irian jaya's are also nice and get slightly larger than jungles (6.5-7'). Diamonds average 6.5' but can get as large as 9'. Jungles average 5.5-6.5' though there have been a few wild caught that where around the 8' mark. Coastal carpets get to the 9-10' range but pure coastal's are not as colorful as others in the complex. There are many morphs and lineages within this complex as well as some GTP x JCP hybrids that may meet your requirements.

I would not recommend a blood unless you have excellent husbandry skills. They are prone to respiratory infections and scale rot if husbandry is anything less than perfect. They are impressive animals when full grown and having worked specifically with Borneos I feel their reputations as moody is somewhat undeserved. They are very heavy bodied animals and a 6' adult blood is quite impressive.

Black headed pythons may be a consideration for you but their size is similar to carpet pythons. That said both ETB's and GTP's are generally smaller than all of the aforementioned pythons.

Boa wise a Cuban boa averages in the 10-12' length region and are fairly docile. Brazilian and Peruvian rainbow boas are beautiful and average around 6'. I found the ones I had to be a little nippy at times but overall pretty good to work with. I used to chamber enclosures for them, one chamber with cypress mulch and a second chamber with damp sphagnum moss (humidity box). They need to be able to get out of the damp areas or they become prone to skin infections. Another option may be a Dumerils boa. They average about 6' however there are examples upwards of 9'. They are fairly pretty animals with great temperaments.

Colubrid wise I prefer bull snakes (average 6-6.5', though I have a male that is currently a little over 7' and have heard of bulls as large as 8'). They may be a little common for your tastes though. Indigo snakes are far from common and should meet your requirements but they require Federal permits and are slightly over your budget. Cribos may be a better option but are nowhere near as good looking in my opinion. Tiger Rat Snakes are fairly large (average 8-10' with a record size specimen of 14') and colorful, but they can be aggressive. The same is true of blue beauties.

All that aside my recommendation for a good first snake for you would be something from the carpet python family. I think that is where you will find an animal that will come closest to meeting all your requirements while being tolerant of handling and minor husbandry mistakes. Throw the 10 gallon tank away regardless of what you decide on and purchase an enclosure (made specifically for reptiles) suitable for the adult size of the animal ahead of time. House juveniles in smaller "sweater box" style enclosures until they are large enough to go into an adult size enclosure (usually about 1 year). Be prepared to increase the size of the "sweater boxes" through out the year.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #68
xXBlueLipsXx
hhmore the blue beauty snake is beautiful but I heard already when I was doing research on them in the past that there snappy usually close to commonly (did the research when I was wanting a cave dwelling ratsnake). the red tailed green ratsnake looks pretty o.o (looked them up) also do they come in this color kinda tealish color? (just saw it) or is it just a phase (dont know how to post photos). the carpet is on my list of possibilty's already for buying, dont think a timber python would suit (even though I half to buy myself a new bigger cage ._. makes me made i wasted money on that cage even if it wasnt very much probably will use it for something else). Bolene's python is beautiful but they have stricking issues with the glass which you can read here: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.U7rjLnrnYm8

EmeraldBoid, what do you mean carpets turn into mud bombs? Moluccan scrub python looks good but if there hard to find like you say it might be hard for me to even find one in texas.

Pmsayi, dont think a GTP would suit me sense they stress that badly that they stop eating. ATB i dont mind a little striking but if they do it every day then I really start to mind it e.e dont think that'll suit. Diamond pythons are looking good, what are there temperment like? dont think a blood would suit sense im not experience enough to have perfect husbandy. black headed pythons arent bad looking is there any morphs of them? possibilty of a cuban boa dont mind a little nip as long as its not every day. dont think a tiger rat snake would suit if there aggressive. and i probably wont throw it away I might just use it for something else like for fish or lizards or something like that or a incubation when my bf starts breeding bearded dragons (dont know how well it would work though)

Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #69
xXBlueLipsXx
this is what I ment for the red tailed green ratsnake teal color
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #70
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBlueLipsXx View Post
this is what I ment for the red tailed green ratsnake teal color
That looks like a bad use of "flash" to me lol. Most red tail rats are Wildcaught so you would have to head to the vet for a fecal and parasite treatment. Most carpets in the market today will not be yellow and black as adults, they will be near brown and black. So If you go that route make sure you get a hatchling from quality parents. How big are the Texas shows? By the looks of things, I think you will need to have your choice shipped in from out of state.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!