need advice on the care of Bearded Dragon eggs! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
jenkim2485
need advice on the care of Bearded Dragon eggs!

I have an incubator that you set the temp and humd and it keeps it there and after 3 weeks their all dried up. I was told not to spray them because it will block their pores. I use hatchrite to put the eggs in the incubator. their set at 81 degs and 70 % humd. What else is there? Please help.
Jennifer

Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
angie.h
I use vermiculite[ or sand/verm. mix] about 3" deep after enough water is added to make it moist but not wet.I make imprints with my index or pinky finger to set each egg in,eggs about half inch apart.If the verm. starts drying out[ check pretty often] you can ad water by CAREFULLY moving each egg,you can move a whole row and set them down in the SAME position you picked them up ...must be exact and it's not hard to do if you just temporarily set them in between another row of eggs: then spray each individual spot where the eggs were with a stream from a spray bottle while covering the other eggs with paper towel so no drops accidentally get on them.DO ALL OF this CAREFULLY.This has worked for me for years...someone else may have other suggestions.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Bearded Ambitions
sounds about like what i do only thing i do different is use perlite and i use a cup in incubator to keep humidity near 100% most of time its at like 96% and my temp i keep about 83-85 for a good mix of sexes.but when perlite dries out i just use cup and pour water in one side of container and gently tilt so water covers entire bottom of perlite.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Gina Gauvin
Thumbs up

Hi Jennifer,
I use vermiculite too. You didn't mention if your putting the eggs in a covered container? I use sandwich containers (Glad?). I melt 2 holes in each side using a hot wooden match. Light the match stick, blow it out, and push it thru the inside of each side. Sounds weird but makes a perfect hole if done quickly. Wash it after. Then add vermiculite to fill half way just under holes. When you add water it should just clump together but shouldn't feel that wet. Maybe 1/4 cup water to 2 cups vermiculite. Stir well, pat down, make rows. I fit about 20 eggs per container.
Add the eggs in rows and push vermiculite against it so they're covered half way up the sides. If I see a red spot I sit it facing up. Not sure if it matters. I mist the inside of the lid, close firmly. I also sit a small cup in the incubator, half full with water, for added humidity.
I incubate in a Hoverbater between 83-86 degrees. I unplug it on hot days over 85ish because I don't have airconditioning in that room. If you've already had a batch start drying out, denting in, and it hasn't been too long. Not weeping fluids (those are bad and should be discarded before they mold and it spreads). But if denting should occur use a squirt bottle and squirt a little water around the eggs to you feel it's back to the proper consistancy, and mist the lid.
In severe cases of dryness I do the same, but also lay a quarter sheet of paper towel over the eggs and mist well with warm water. Put the lid on and leave it in there till the next day and remove. If still dented, leave a second day. I wouldn't throw out the eggs till they smell bad or have turned brownish. You don't want to throw out a baby and have him hatch in the garbage. If only 1 or 2 eggs are dented, do the same, but just rip off enough papertowel to cover those few.

Hope that helps!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!