Another mite question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Ophion
Another mite question

I have read plenty about mites to know what I am looking for, but apparently still can't spot them (well originally). I traded for a BCI and brought her home last Sunday. She looked fine, ate the next day. This morning I looked at her water bowl and I saw two black specks - mites. Look her over she's grown a nice collection. The guy I got her from was nice about it, offered the pay for what I needed. Mostly want to get everyone squeaky clean again.

She's in quarantine, but since I only have so much space that means there are still cages within the same room. I don't have PAM, but I just ordered some. No one in the city carries it and I wish I had on hand like I planned. (whole lot of good thats doing me now) Obviously I want to treat everyone just in case, she's only been here a week, but I trust nothing. My question is what can I do until I get the PAM in?

I read doing a dish soap and water bath every couple days (though don't know the ratio and how long) and one even said a little table salt. There are so many different thoughts on cleaning the enclosures and if there is anything I can do until I get the Pam I would love to. I would also like to know about treating the carpet and for decor is there anything special I can/need to do.

I also couldn't find reptile relief, but there was a 'Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray'. I don't know if thats worth anything, but I grabbed it just in case and I can always return it if its not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
FPSTANG
Lightbulb mite method

:yes just had recent mite issue what I did was soak the snake in 80 to 85 deg water just enough water so the snake is covered by about a half inch let it soak for atleast an hour if not longer. Then take a generous amount of olive oil and cover everything but the head with it will will see them dead right in your hand clean him off well then quarintine. clean every single thing around the cage. This process has worked for me more than once been mite free for over 2 months now. Frank

Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
GHC Exotics
Everyone has their own tricks to what works best for them.. heres what we do if we have something come in that brings mites into the shop..

We use the dish soap and soak method initially. We put about 1-2 literal drops of "Dawn dish soap" to every 6 qt. container of water used, and we generally soak them in that for about 30 mins at a time.
Remove everything from the enclosure and wipe it down pretty well.
We use newspaper as bedding at this time just so that the mites dont have as much of an option as to where to lay their eggs.
Then we spray the enclosure down with "Screw Worm Spray" this is bought at your local farm and garden store and is the exact mixture as the marketed "Proventamite" this is just a decent amount cheaper... its around $7.00 here in Northeast, GA.
Let it air out for about 10 mins or so, then you can place the water dish back in the cage, and once your animal is done soaking you can place it back in its cage.
This method has done VERY well for us, and we generally only have to do this once or twice to eliminate the problem. If you have a severe out break and have troubles kicking it, placing a "pest strip" on top or under the cage also helps.
Hope this helps a little!! Good luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
DAND
Nix is a head lice medication that you can find at most grocery and drug stores. Mix the 2 oz. bottle of Nix to one gallon of distilled water and you'll have plenty of mite treatment.

I have found that having an empty gallon jugs comes in handy because the consistency of Nix is like a thick hair conditioner and doesn't mix easily in a large amount of water. If you put the Nix and a couple cups of water into one jug and shake the hell out of it, it mixes well and all you'll have to do is add the rest of the water, shake the hell out of it again and you're ready to go. Just put some in a spray bottle and you are ready to treat your critters and their enclosures.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Ophion
Thank you all for the help. I went with RID while waiting for the PAM and did use some of that spray. It has been 2 weeks now and the improvement is amazing. The worst I saw the first week is a couple dead ones and now nothing, not even a dead one. Nothing even during the soak. I just did a second treatment of course, you never know. I'm just happy to see improvement and she even looks ten times better.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
FPSTANG
what ever works for you but you have to make sure you clean that encloser getting them off the snake is the easy part if you dont want them back 2 weeks from now clean the shit otta the tank with what ever you decide to use then throw away all the substrate and use news paper for awhile till your in the clear best is to set up totally clean quarintine tank.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #7
smilts
Ive used the NIX treatment to great affect, in the past. Im not sure but doesnt RID have the same poison??

Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilts View Post
Ive used the NIX treatment to great affect, in the past. Im not sure but doesnt RID have the same poison??

I believe that is correct.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!