Question Regarding Boa imperator - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Brad Pard
Question Regarding Boa imperator

Will the Nicaraguan Boa imperator have a lower lifespan than the Colombian Boa imperator because of being smaller or will they have similar lifespans?

Old 03-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
elena
That's an interesting question. My guess is that they will have a similar lifespan, but I doubt that there is really enough information out there to definitively answer that question, since boas have a long life in captivity and there are probably only a few animals out there who have lived out their entire lifespan without changing collections multiple times, to the point that their exact age is unknown.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
I'll add that the lifespan of herps in captivity is quite variable, and is based mostly on the quality of care they are provided.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
JCCS
I've kept a Nic that was at least 20 yrs old and probably closer to 30. Many times, within the same species, the smaller animals tend to live longer.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
I've kept a Nic that was at least 20 yrs old and probably closer to 30. Many times, within the same species, the smaller animals tend to live longer.
I would think things could go both ways with subspecies that stay on the smaller side. If kept and fed properly I can see where they would live longer, but keepers may inadvertently overfeed based on what they are used to when dealing with the larger members of the species, leading to an early death due to obesity.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #6
JCCS
I meant with all things being equal, meaning appropriate care for each being provided.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!