Did I do the right thing? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
Tasty Cakes
Did I do the right thing?

So I had 4 eggs laid within a day of each other. 1 egg was sorta translucent looking so initially I gave it up for dead but said what the hell, if it isn't molding its fine I guess. The other 3 hatched last week right around 60 days and this little guy didn't, even tho the egg was huge and still a grayish color. It started leaking some clear fluid just now when I candled it. The egg was empty except this tiny mass at the bottom. So I cut the egg open and this little guy squirmed out. I was seriously expecting horror movie stuff when I cut the egg, like half developed crested flopping around and what not.

I thought he was dead after he hopped out cause he just sat there and didn't even move when turned upside down but I gave him a slight pinch and he made a meep sound and jumped so he's def alive lol. He didn't soak up all the yolk and didn't even take a breath of air for 10 mins but he appears fine now. Hes freaking tiny tho, barely bigger than a dime.

You think I shoulda given him more time? I'm sorta new at this, with this little dude I'm up to 11 babies.

Sorry cant find my card reader so I got iPhone pics only :/

Here is him and his bigger brother that hatched a few days ago:

Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Abby
Wow, tiny! It's hard to say what you should've done, because if you waited for all we know he could've died in the egg. If he thrives he thrives, but if not it couldn't be helped. Good luck with him

Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
deborahbroadus
I agree with Abby.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Tasty Cakes
Thanks for the responses, he's still kicking tho. Is it too early to try to hand feed him? I heard 3-4 days but I might start to dab his nose w/ CGD/Baby Food mix tonight.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
bad-one
I've had one "halfing" baby that went through a similar ordeal with needing to have the egg cut.

Golem lived for several months before perishing. It's quite possible that the little one will make it, I'd put food in there on day 2 or 3 and hand feed on day 3 or 4 to help give it the best chance. Make sure to keep the humidity high for him/her!

Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Tasty Cakes
Well 3 weeks of hand feeding he's still kicking, more active lately tho.

Now he's having trouble shedding. As you can see its stuck to his whole body. He's been like this for about a day or two :/ He's in a small container inside my incubator and the humidity is in the 90-100% range.

Advice form the pros def welcome.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
snowgyre
I had a hatchling with similar shedding problems this year. I have two methods to deal with this. The first is to soak him in a sink with room-temperature water, the water just deep enough to reach halfway up his side, and I use my finger to dab water over his back. In about 10 minutes, the skin will be pliable enough to start gently peeling it off with your fingernails.

Another option I've used which works really good is to put the gecko in an airtight tupperware container with moistened moss and a little bit of gravel in the bottom. The relative humidity of the container will be high enough that after 24 hours the gecko should be able to shuck his skin off by himself. Because the container is airtight, make 100% sure that the container is in a very shady, temperature controlled region of your house. Being sealed for 24 hours won't hurt your gecko at all since there's plenty of air in there, but if you're not careful the temperature could get too high if placed in a bad spot.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
bad-one
Definitely try what Snowgyre said! I use a deli cup with a little lukewarm water and set them in it for 15 minutes or so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!