I've got EGGS!!!!! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
Tere Salazar
With those parents, you can expect color when they're born. It'll just intensify the older they get.

As for size, look at your finger. They'll be able to sit on it comfortably. LOL!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #22
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere Salazar View Post
With those parents, you can expect color when they're born. It'll just intensify the older they get.

As for size, look at your finger. They'll be able to sit on it comfortably. LOL!
I KNOOOWWWWW!!! Even though the eggs seemed big for TWENTY-EIGHT coming out of that poor dragon...they're TINY compared to BP eggs that I'm used to!!!!

I have no doubt that they'll be cute as can be as soon as they're born, but I AM glad to hear that they should have some decent coloring, too. I figured that might take a few weeks, or more, to start coming in. Silly first-timer.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #23
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
I KNOOOWWWWW!!! Even though the eggs seemed big for TWENTY-EIGHT coming out of that poor dragon...they're TINY compared to BP eggs that I'm used to!!!!

I have no doubt that they'll be cute as can be as soon as they're born, but I AM glad to hear that they should have some decent coloring, too. I figured that might take a few weeks, or more, to start coming in. Silly first-timer.
See? And now you know why I was so shocked at how huge BP eggs are! LOL! Beardie eggs remind me of little jelly beans at first. Just wait till they're almost ready to hatch. You'll be surprised how much they grow. So cool.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #24
Omnomnami
Congrats on your first bearded clutch, Matt!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
Matt2979
Quote:
See? And now you know why I was so shocked at how huge BP eggs are! LOL! Beardie eggs remind me of little jelly beans at first. Just wait till they're almost ready to hatch. You'll be surprised how much they grow. So cool.
The eggs will get bigger?? I hope that I spaced them far enough a part in their boxes (in the incubator)!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnami View Post
Congrats on your first bearded clutch, Matt!
Thanks Nichole!!! I hope your girls are doing great for you!!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
The eggs will get bigger?? I hope that I spaced them far enough a part in their boxes (in the incubator)!!
Yes, they grow...not a huge amount, but they do grow. I'll give you a tip. DO NOT wait until a few days before they hatch to try to move them around. The shells get fairly delicate (much more so than BP eggs) and a teensy bit too much pressure and it's all over with for that egg/baby. Learn from my experience on that one, please.

About 1 or 1 1/2" in between each egg is generally good. You're not expecting anywhere near like chicken egg size or anything! More like those larger malted milk egg things that come out around Easter time. I must be craving Easter candy with all these references to it!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #27
Matt2979
Quote:
Yes, they grow...not a huge amount, but they do grow. I'll give you a tip. DO NOT wait until a few days before they hatch to try to move them around. The shells get fairly delicate (much more so than BP eggs) and a teensy bit too much pressure and it's all over with for that egg/baby. Learn from my experience on that one, please.

About 1 or 1 1/2" in between each egg is generally good. You're not expecting anywhere near like chicken egg size or anything! More like those larger malted milk egg things that come out around Easter time. I must be craving Easter candy with all these references to it!
You sure are making me crave chocolate and jelly beans right now!!!!

I think I gave them plenty of room to grow. I tried to follow what I saw in Blood Bank's video. I also mixed my vermiculite about the same as what I do for my BP eggs. Do you ever find that you need to add water to yours?? I know I added some to several BP clutches last year, and they hatch before BD eggs (from what I've read, at least).

Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
Tere Salazar
Well, at least I know I'm not the only one! LOL!

Yes, every now and then (keeping in mind I'm in AZ), I would have to add water to the BD eggs. You can use an eyedropper or a squirt bottle and just get the vermiculite wet, not the eggs, themselves, but I'm sure you already knew that. If they start looking shrivelly or denting and they're not close to hatching (in which case, they'd likely be sweating, too, and getting little almost-see-through parts on them), then the vermiculite is too dry. Typically, you can add a little water, and they perk right back up.

Giyod, I really hope that made sense.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #29
skywalker67
may I add, if they do get dry and dont perk up, I place a damp papter towle over the dehydrated eggs until they fill back up. ( after I spray them). Infertile eggs will "deflate" after a week or so, but the treatment I've used with the papter towle always works for me. There is risk of mold, but I never leave it on that long.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #30
Matt2979
Thanks for that, Luke. Sounds like the same tricks for BP's will work for BD's.

I've actually stayed away from the incubator, to keep from denting the glass with my nose! I went so far as to put my 3-step stool in front of it, and put a big, colored tub on top of that so I can't even peak in!! I'm going to allow myself to check on them today so that I can pull any eggs, IF any have gone bad (crossing my fingers that I won't have to worry with that).

Will anyone share their percentage of eggs going full-term? I know with my BP's, MOST make it, but I still probably still lose about 15%. I really don't bother candling (maybe once in a blue moon) so I couldn't tell you how many of those were just bad from the start.

Thanks for all the tips and support!! I should have baby pics in about...FIFTY to SIXTY days!!!! Patience is a virtue...that I don't have!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!