so, - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
reticguy76
so,

I fully understand that in the classifieds, you have to be a member to post replies to ads, agree or disagree, it is what it is. However, I find it, well, Ill just say, disturbing, that I cant reply to my own ad that I posted.

This just seems very very odd to me.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Fangthane
Yeah, that did seem kinda odd to me. I'm guessing it's a matter of just not having the coding in place to allow special permissions within a single thread. It's most likely set up as an all or nothing thing within the forums themselves.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
if there is something you need to add or respond to, you should be able to edit your own ad using the classifieds control panel.

Yes, it's part of the all or nothing as far as not allowing the replies. If I remember correctly (been a while since this was discussed), contributing members cannot reply either until someone else does in an effort to eliminate the 'bump' posts (which are against the rules now).

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=249378

Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
reticguy76
Im curious as to the actual reasoning for bumping being against the rules. I tried a search to see if I can find out why, but maybe my search words were incorrect or something.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
There were far to many 'bump' posts being made. Here is the thread Webslave made about this:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...php?f=498&a=65

bumping ads is one of the perks offered to contributing members.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=64541

You can relist your own animal but you must make sure to delete the old ad as there can only be one ad per animal at a time.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
Im curious as to the actual reasoning for bumping being against the rules. I tried a search to see if I can find out why, but maybe my search words were incorrect or something.
Ad bumping had reached such a level that LOTS of people were complaining about it. And it appeared to be increasing daily. This was particularly a problem in the ball python classifieds section, which because of it's high traffic level, apparently people were just parked there bumping their ads every few hours. So you would have the ad thread, and then 10 or more replies with nothing but "*bump* in them, or perhaps some inane comment designed just to bump that ad.

Then there was another problem with people hounding and antagonizing advertisers (usually their competitors) for one reason or another, which resulted in LOTS of reported posts for the mods to have to spend their time looking into and trying to sort out what was going on. Apparently a number of people were creating new *false* accounts for this purpose as well. Heck, they were free, so why not? Just make it APPEAR that multiple people are bumping ads and antagonizing targeted advertisers.

I warned people quite a few times over quite a lengthy period of time that this needs to cease or I would have to take steps to "cease it". Which, of course, was completely ignored.

So I "ceased it". I was literally going through the member groups permission sets removing the capability for ANYONE to reply to classified ads, when I made a snap decision to leave this capability in place for paying members. And even then only on a contingency basis that the ad bumping and rancorous disrupting replies to classified ads not continue. If it were to continue to be a problem, then that privilege will be yanked from the paying members as well.

Incidentally, when I made that change to halt classified ad replies, the TOTAL replies per day here for this site dropped by HALF. So that will give you an idea of how much ad bumping was actually taking place. Any site wants to have traffic, but in this case the type of traffic involved was actually becoming detrimental to the health of this site.

Yeah, it does sound quite illogical to deny replies from everyone for classified ads, yet allow everyone to CREATE such an ad, but the way this all came about was how it is described here. So the logic is there, just not immediately apparent to someone looking at the surface face value of what they can see.

Hope that explains things a bit.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
reticguy76
Most of that I understand and even agree with (as I have been a member here for awhile now and saw most of that), I guess it just seems weird that we cant bump our own posts. I guess it wouldnt be as bad, if either the sites server, or my computer I use was faster on this forum, and didnt take so long to repost, pics particularly, new ads, especially many of us now days, upload and post from our phones now. Much easier to just bump it every couple weeks, than repost a whole new ad.

Overall, my question was answered and I appreciate it

Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
Most of that I understand and even agree with (as I have been a member here for awhile now and saw most of that), I guess it just seems weird that we cant bump our own posts. I guess it wouldnt be as bad, if either the sites server, or my computer I use was faster on this forum, and didnt take so long to repost, pics particularly, new ads, especially many of us now days, upload and post from our phones now. Much easier to just bump it every couple weeks, than repost a whole new ad.

Overall, my question was answered and I appreciate it
I'm sorry, but the only acceptable way to bump ads on this site now is via the function included in the Classifieds Control Panel for paying members. I know a lot of people would like to have absolutely everything here for free and pretty much do as they please, but this has to be managed in a realistic way now. If there is one thing I have learned over the years running this site, it is that as traffic changes, so do the problems associated with that change. So this site has to adapt to those changes as needed and seemingly prudent at the time.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
SPJ
bump

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Mistyck
Ooooh, you gunna be in twubble! lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!