Snake bites woman at Home Depot - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Snake bites woman at Home Depot

A woman bit by a rattlesnake at an Austin-area Home Depot remained hospitalized Tuesday, four days after the incident.

The rattlesnake bit Shirley Reynolds on her thumb.

It happened Saturday in the garden section of the Home Depot on Highway 620 at Bee Cave Road in West Travis County

KVUE News learned Tuesday that Reynolds is in good condition at Brackenridge Hospital.

A spokesperson for Home Depot says Reynolds picked up a plant and when she did, she was bitten on the thumb by a snake curled up at the base of the plant.

KVUE News has confirmed that it was a small rattlesnake, one foot long or less.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife expert says that a four-day stay in the hospital is not out of the ordinary when it comes to rattlesnake bites.

"Depending on where the bite is on the body, where the venom is injected... it's not 10 or 15 minutes, it's usually hours. And different people have different reactions to venom," said Mike Burger, Texas Parks & Wildlife. "But you shouldn't hesitate. You should get as quickly as you can to a hospital or clinic."

There are a variety of different rattlesnakes in Texas. It's unclear which variety bit Reynolds.

If any snake bites you, government officials say you should remember three steps.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, you should first wash the bite with soap and water.

Second, immobilize the bite area, keeping it lower than the heart.

Then seek medical help immediately.

The longer it takes to get to the hospital, the more likely long-term complications or even death, could occur.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori....26a26354.html

Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Skunky
Just a matter of time till the lawsuit is filed

Is Home Depot liable though? Interesting point.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Traci1
Dang! While I would be thrilled to find a colubrid in a plant at the local Home Depot (even if it bit me!)...a rattlesnake is NOT GOOD!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Junkyard
That is just bad luck there, I can see that happening to anyone. How often do you look in the pot of dirt before you pick the plant up? I do, I am not a fan of spiders, I guess I have been bitten by too many.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky
Just a matter of time till the lawsuit is filed

Is Home Depot liable though? Interesting point.
Of course they would be found liable. If a woman can sue MacDonalds because she spilled coffee on herself and got burned, then the sue happy mentality in this country would certainly rule Home Depot liable for the rattlesnake. Doesn't make it right though.
I'd say it won't be in the news, but most likely what will happen is she will sue, and Home Depot will settle out of court for "an undisclosed sum" to avoid going to trial.
She'll get her hospital bill paid for and likely get 50 grand or so to quell the lawsuit.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
INSANE CANES
Glad she made it through .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!