Adenovirus Alert - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Rebel Dragons
Lmao, that mass email that was sent out by Bruce, was laughable at best.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #22
Mooing Tricycle
thank you for comming forward with this, its a brave and true thing to do.

I feel horrible for your loss and hope that in future years you can, eventually, get back on track with extra healthy animals. You did everything right, and how a truly good breeder should. as sad as the situation ended up you should be proud of the service you did, as heartbreaking as it is, for eliminating the chance for the virus in your collection, and others whom youve dealt with to spread.

I hope all goes well in the future for you, truly.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #23
Neverland Dragons
Please see the link below for a newly posted article by Cheri Smith regarding Dr. Elliot Jacobson on adenovirus in bearded dragons. It addresses recent comments made in a mass emailing by a specific breeder of bearded dragons:

http://www.reptilerooms.com/displayarticle135-flat.html

It has some good information and also makes it clear that Dr. Jacobson thinks this is a serious health issue and that known positive dragons should NEVER be sold in the pet trade.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #24
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Dragons
Please see the link below for a newly posted article by Dr. Elliot Jacobson on adenovirus in bearded dragons. It addresses recent comments made in a mass emailing by a specific breeder of bearded dragons:

http://www.reptilerooms.com/displayarticle135-flat.html

It has some good information and also makes it clear that Dr. Jacobson thinks this is a serious health issue and that known positive dragons should NEVER be sold in the pet trade.

Why bother with the "a specific breeder", "a certain someone" bullshit. The mass email was sent out by by Bruce at Sunshine Dragons. Like I stated earlier in this thread, it was laughable at best.

Wendy and Cheri, thank you for contacting these Dr's and taking the time to educate us dragon owners about the severity of this virus. It's good to see that most people are taking this seriously, even if a few are not.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #25
melindaste
Mike Very well said..

Old 10-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #26
CheriS
Sorry guys, you have to realize that Wendy and I both are being called names, threatened with lawsuits, ASPCA reports and anything else that can be slung right now to make us back down and not get this info out to everyone that can be affected

I tried to concentrate on the meat and potatoes of the facts and get those out to breeders and owners and not the little peas rolling around the plate.

I felt getting a statement to the community from the person or his staff, that is ALLEDGED to have provided the information in that mass mailing mess was the important thing and not diverting that fact.

We did not want this to be viewed as a "peeing match" with a breeder....... ya know, Wendy and I are females and can not to that very far!!

Old 10-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #27
Rebel Dragons
A few more thoughts......

The way this is playing out constantly reminds me of what happened in the ferret world about 8-10 years ago. Aleutian Disease was new on the scene and many many breeders and hobbyists ignored the initial warnings. The parvovirus (ADV) was not well understood and people down played the severity of it. Many people lost entire collections and passed the virus on without even knowing what was going on. Causing many others to loose their collections as well. After intense testing and studying ADV was found to have several different strains. It's extremely contagious and worst of all deadly. It attacks the immune systems of the ferrets and is generally described as ferret AIDS. Even today it's not well understood but people have finally realized what a real threat it is. Most breeders and owners now test their ferrets biannually and the spread of the disease has decreased significantly. A high price was paid by many people to get the knowledge that ferret owners have today.

Now it's just my opinion but I see some similarities in the way some beardie people are viewing the adeno virus and the way some ferret folk viewed ADV. I just hope it doesn't take 8-10 years and countless beardies deaths before the beardie community as a whole takes this seriously. I know a lot of ferret people who still sing their shoulda, coulda, woulda's when it comes to ADV. I don't want to be in a group of beardie owners doing the same thing a few years from now...........

Old 10-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #28
melindaste
WOW didnt relize how nasty things were getting.. Im sorry for all you are going throu. Just got another mass email. Unreal how nansty this email is. To me as a potential buyer I do not think much of what was said in this email.When you stoop this low to name call in a mass email. I think it is discusting..I thought we were dealing with adults not kids..

Old 10-27-2006, 04:11 PM   #29
Brenda777
This is getting ridiculous. I am getting the e-mails also. I know its a big issue and I am sorry for people getting hurt and the miss understandings but isn't enough enough. I think we are all smart enough to research this virus and to ask questions. Why does it have to keep going on and on. I am sending an email to the people that keep sending it to me that I am tired of hearing it to stop sending it to me. I don't know what happened except what I was told and it it sad all around.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #30
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
Sorry guys, you have to realize that Wendy and I both are being called names, threatened with lawsuits, ASPCA reports and anything else that can be slung right now to make us back down and not get this info out to everyone that can be affected

I tried to concentrate on the meat and potatoes of the facts and get those out to breeders and owners and not the little peas rolling around the plate.

I felt getting a statement to the community from the person or his staff, that is ALLEDGED to have provided the information in that mass mailing mess was the important thing and not diverting that fact.

We did not want this to be viewed as a "peeing match" with a breeder....... ya know, Wendy and I are females and can not to that very far!!

Cheri and Wendy,
I am so sorry that you guys have been put in this position. I know Cheri from Pogona, I know Wendy because I own 2 of her dragons from her breeding last year. I personally don't know anyone more dedicated to educating new owners than Cheri, and Wendy, well, I can not say enough about the two girls I own that I got from her, not only is she nice, but she has put herself way out there for those of us in this community, and that says more about her character and integrity than anything.
I am sorry that you guys are dealing with all this, simply because you made the decision to do the right thing. It's absolutely heartbreaking to know and understand just how much Wendy lost, I have a small clue about how much she loves and cares about her "babies". The fact that she has stood up here in the face of all that and given her time and energy to educate the rest of us is beyond admirable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!