weight gainer - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
nothing furry
weight gainer

Hello every one,

I just read a post about feeding pinkies to dragons, and this is very debateable.....but here the thing:

I addopted a "male adult" dragon that was found in the desert out side of phoenix, in kinda bad shape. "He" was really thin and saggy, I started offering him some greens and some crix, but he wouldn't take any.........
until "HE" dropped 12 slugs, after that, she perked up a little and started eating more. Its been a month now and she(Stewey) has only gained minimal weight.

Q: since so many people are against feeding pinkies, cause of the whole liver problem thing,
What can I use to fatten her up with.

I don't mean just load her up with fatty foods, but get her to a healthy state.

hope you guys can help with this, thanks.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Great, the first thing is to make sure she is getting some extra calcium & fluids for a bit to help her system replace what she just laid, as she could lay more soon.
The best feeders to bulk them up on are superworms, goliath hornworms, & silkworms. Lobster roaches are pretty popular as well, but alot of people don't want to mess with roaches though.
Greens & veggies are a staple that should be used daily. You can add in some butternut & acorn squash as starch to add a few calories too, or some green peas as well.
Those should help her put on some quality weight without putting on too much unhealthy fat. I hope that helps out.

Tracie

Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
nothing furry
thank you very much, Tracie.

I just got some roaches in, and I am defenatly UPing the calcium, and water intake.
where can I get hornworms? I havent seen those guys in years......anyway, thanks again.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

No problem, great you already got roaches in then. She should enjoy those. You can get hornworms from here: http://greatlakeshornworm.com/index.html

Good luck. Let me know how she is doing.

Tracie

Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Reptileking636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing furry
thank you very much, Tracie.

I just got some roaches in, and I am defenatly UPing the calcium, and water intake.
where can I get hornworms? I havent seen those guys in years......anyway, thanks again.

it depends on where in phoenix you live, Pets inc. (southern and mill) sells hornworms sometimes. And AZ reptile (dobson and broadway) sells lobster roaches. I buy all my feeders from those 2 places and they're the best

Old 08-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
monkeywrench133
If you're on the west side, try Glendale Pet Shop, on 51st Ave and Northern, they carry just about every type of feeder, invertebrate and mammal. No roaches though.

I think the roaches are your best bet though, I got a colony from Shrap of discoids in February and my beardies almost won't eat crickets anymore LOL! If you want to try some of those, PM me and I'll give you a couple dozen to try out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!